Recent content by Holmz

1. Holmz

Polk Reserve R350 Review (Center Speaker)

That concept reminds me of the ape scene in “2001 A Space Odyssey“.
  2. Holmz

Excessive hissing in some tracks but not others?

Stuff recorded on master tape can has the hiss come out. Sort of depends on era and engineering.
  3. Holmz

The Truth About Vinyl Records

This thread has gone off the rails like it is possessed… Needs more of an exorcist at this point, IMO.
  4. Holmz

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

I thought he was not allowed to post anymore? Agree. My post was somewhat sarcastic… as for them being a 2-way, they are pretty impressive sounding. I have definitely heard worse, and the distortion is pretty low.
  5. Holmz

^Maybe^ - it just seems odd that it sounds so good.
  6. Holmz

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

I totally agree. What I was referring to is whether the output matching the input is some definition of fidelity? We do that with amps and make it SINAD Uber Alles… but are reticent to take the same approach out to the next step… the sound field after the speaker. We can also devolve it as to...
  7. Holmz

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

At some point it seems like one could assume that there is a possibility of a trend. Allowing 3 strikes is somewhat like baseball.
  8. Holmz

They sound pretty good too. The bass was surprisingly good, and it is very easy to play them loud as the distortion is low. And they have a surprisingly “quiet sound” that some good speakers seem to have… where one wants to turn up the volume, but the SPL meter and OSHA are saying “too much”...
  9. Holmz

Group delay is generally the largest in the low end. (So which comes first?) ^That answer^ reminds me of playing both in the red and black at the roulette wheel. if we cannot agree to whether the speaker‘s pressure output better matching what the microphone saw is better or not, then we have...
  10. Holmz

Since the question in the thread is about phase, do have have an impulse response or step function measurement? And can we get back to whether the speaker output is closer to the source when teh impulkse does not have inversions?
  11. Holmz

@Snarfie It is also Duntech/Dunlavy, Spika, Theil, and another speaker that used 1st order crossovers (XOs), and were also time/phase correct. One usually likes the rest of them, if they like one of them. The trend has been towards higher order XOs and not phase correct.
  12. Holmz

I was not able to find anything under a quick google of Heyser. do you have a link? I would generally upsample… or if there are two copies of the same signal, then I would look at cross spectral phase. so I think one can get sub sample delays, but I would not bet on it.
  13. Holmz

Sometimes ^they^ say spectrum…which is perfectly fine. The point is.. that most people use only the amplitude/magnitude . And the second point/.. is that the flatness of, say a pink noise spectrogram, is coveted “Uber Alles”… and the only thing many want to see. about the only time phase is...
Top Bottom