Recent content by Herbert

1. H

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

I´ll start with something rather strange: Edgar Rothermich: "Blade Runner" https://www.discogs.com/de/Edgar-Rothermich-Blade-Runner-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture-Score/release/6960353 Why strange? Because what is heard in the movie was never released, even the more faithful release of Vangelis...
  2. H

How to Fix ESS Hump on SGD1 and LA-QXD1

Hm-no one to do the math? I am not deep enough into electronics to calculate the ratio of the changed values. Above Bens calculations, below the tone board unaltered...
  3. H

Sheffield Labs "My Disc" -70dB Test Track

I should be able to do this. But I need to check if my DAW can produce a testtone from scratch. But maybe there are already files to be found on the net.
  4. H

Sheffield Labs "My Disc" -70dB Test Track

I have the YEDS-18 Test Disc from Sony, which also has a -60dB Test Signal and digital silence-track. On an older resistor-network based CD-Player, this will be like a sawtooth. On modern designs, it ia (almost) a sinewave again. But the digital silence - track is very revealing. Very...
  5. H

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

In German there is a saying: "Einbildung ist auch eine Bildung" The pun: "Einbildung" means delusion, "Bildung" means education. So people are more happy with delusion (but in a sense also with imagination) than with education...
  6. H

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Maybe something like having sex with yourself?
  7. H

How to Fix ESS Hump on SGD1 and LA-QXD1

In some ways my question might not be fair, as Ben1987 put a lot of energy and good spirit into the fix. But the pcb of both DACs are physically too big for my needs and therefor I am stuck to the Khadas tone board. In the moment of writing, I do not have Khadas´ published schematics with me and...
  8. H

Critical (Best) Music Tracks for Speaker and Room EQ Testing

I still love to listen to Joe Jackson´s "Night and Day" on the old first / 2nd generation CD-Payer I own. Somehow the "harsh" but pristine sound fits the sonic signature of these old CD-Players. I can really recommend what he made later, "Will Power", "Blaze of Glory", "Symphony Nr1". Around `89...
  9. H

Iphone 4s and Iphone 6s sound muffled compared to Iphone 4

I removed the pcb that contains the Microphone, digitizer IC TI25ASGVI 079 and volume up / volume down buttons. This pcb is independent from the audio signal that leads directly to the driver and is connected to Microphone / Common Guess what - now the Iphone 4, the 4s and 6s sound identical...
  10. H

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

There is one customer review of the Sonata HD Pro on TaoBao that claims that mechanical quality is not good and after four monthsthe Sonata HD Pro died. I hope it is ok to post the link. Is it likely that the Snonata and HIDIZS are manufactured in the same factory? Different casing, same...
  11. H

I have two of them, and yes, they are small. But for the sake of short connections drilling holes in the exact diameter and distance is one problem.Also the USB-plug needs a cutout, no matter if being used or not...
  12. H

Now we have High End in remarkebly small devices. I once modded a 2nd generation CD-Player with SPDIF out SPDIF was NOT on Board, I had to use a DIT4096 transmitter from TI to generate SPDIF from Data - L/R Clock and Bitclock. So, question: Are there any small devices to generate USB from SPDIF...
  13. H

WolfX700 Measurement of Sony ZX300

Thanks! I liked the design and was contemplating since the release to buy one. Now I know it was a wise decision not to buy and that many decent smartphones measure better... Really a shame for the Co-Inventors of the CD and many more things that shaped our lives...
  14. H

I have no gear to test. Just in case I will find out the Koss sounds identical on the 6s and 4 using a normal jack, it would be interesting to measure the 6s frequency response with / without earbuds and their electronics attached... I assume a 3,5mm three pin jack just shorts the...
  15. H

When I bought the Koss - maybe 4 years ago, maybe longer, - I did only use the Iphone 4. I did toss the Koss´original plug because its volume control was not compatible with Apple´s. This is why I use the cable of an original earbud. When I decided to "upgrade" to a 4s - new ones were still...
Top Bottom