Recent content by Happyhammer

1. H

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

Regarding pops/clicks. There are so many variables that are also in play in addition to the products software bugs. I wanted remote volume control but that didn't work with dsd. As I wanted headphone amp anyways, I got an sp400 with balanced preamp . Then I found my stack audio link 1...
  2. H

I originally had trouble getting into upgrade mode with button sequence. I was given other instructions to open up box and short a couple of pins on chip but I didn't get that to work. I then found I could get into upgrade mode , attaching cable after button sequence. I can dig out...
  3. H

You will only be able to play/stream locally stored DSD files. Qobuz is perhaps the best quality streaming service and no need for an expensive MQA device. mQA is of no benefit.
  4. H

I would think you would have to go through the upgrade steps on the PC and it should tell you the current version before you decide if you wish to upgrade/ downgrade
  5. H

Yes, but ignoring the audio results of doing that, I simply did not want to have a PC on all the time to do media streaming/ upsampling ( ie roon )and that included a fanless NUC. I would still need to have a USB audio device to reclock so I use the stack audio link 1 to do all the above in a...
  6. H

I guess the most important thing is if you are listening to an album that it plays each track without disruption. Being able to play a mixture of DSD and flac files in the playlist is also important to me. Rather than jump to a track in the playlist in which you may encounter a low pop, you...
  7. H

I have no indepth technical knowledge, do can't comment on the internal workings. I am only using fixed mode now and can only report in this situation. It appears when advancing from one track to another in the playlist normally, there is absolutely no indication of sound pops. When...
  8. H

That sounds about right. I bought an smsl sp400 for preamp and headphone usage so now only use the d300 in fixed volume/DSD mode and of course have no issues in this mode.
  9. H

Latest USB and MCU firmware with fix for very loud pops. Added .zip to file names. Noticed on pre amp mode, when my network streamer (stack audio link 1 running stripped down volumio ) sends DSD direct it shows hires on display and volume can be changed. When it sends DOP, it displays DSD in...
  10. H

Got it directly from a distributor
  11. H

I have rolled back the MCU and now it's back to normal for PRE amp mode again. Trick is to only attach USB cable AFTER you have the program loaded and the box prevented from booting via the power/ ftn button method V1.0 MCU Hex file attached, just added .zip to file name so I could attch
  12. H

I was unaware of this thread and upgraded my d300 today and since then I now have these terrible blasts/pops. I hadn tried to update MCU with ftn button but thatvfailed so was given updatee instructions to open box and short a couple of pins on powwr up. Any original MCU firmware around to...
  13. H

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

For those of us without the measurement skills. When using them as monoblocks, what's the approximate position of the volume knobs for approx 24 db gain? ie. 9,10,11 o'clock?
Top Bottom