Recent content by guyboisvert

1. G

Shield SMSL SU-1 Powersupply (Nvidia Shield?)

For "Full fledge sound systems", use async USB when possible (DAC uses its internal clock): Superior to coax or optical which are dumb slave clock interfaces. Obviously, it would be feasible for a DAC to receive the data from coax or optical and still buffer the data + use local clock, i'm not...
  2. G

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

I bought it and i'm very satisfied: Smooth and precise sound, good looking, XLR, etc. I know i could have bought a less expensive one (was considering SMSL D-6s too) but i love the display and i wanted to get 12V trigger. Considering the high audio quality, it's not very expensive anyway, even...
  3. G

Plug Volumio in it! That's a DAC, not a streamer!
  4. G

You could use an optical splitter? I saw one @ 15$ on Amazon.
  5. G

Nice! I'm searching a way to add DSP to mpd (i don't use Windoze!). So far, found nothing well integrated and not too complicated.
  6. G

It would be good indeed, i'd like to do Room EQ directly in the DAC. This would probably translate into a higher price though, as XMOS XU platform doesn't do DSP IIRC.
  7. G

It's the standard remote control they all use, and it's good enough IMHO. I find it comfortable and responsive.
  8. G

Digital audio is a well mastered field in electrical engineering for quite a long time now. Not to downplay their merit, it's a matter of putting time / effort, doing the right things to offer attractive / competitive products for the market you're seeking. Electronic components are evolving...
  9. G

We know it's not the best in audio quality but it's very handy when you have, for example, a friend who wants to play songs for you from his phone / PC / Tablet!
  10. G

Carver RAM285

I'd say, obscene for the fidelity it has... But yeah, some people like colored sound...
  11. G

Can get ground loop using USB + unbalanced (RCA). Computers generate sometimes that kind of problems...
  12. G

XMOS XU216 vs 316?

With good engineering, jitter account for very low inaudible distortion... https://www.analog.com/en/technical-articles/analyzing-audio-dac-jitter-sensitivity.html
  13. G

Purifi Amps - Top Choice or No?

The Benchmark is surely a great amp but i don't think it brings much to the table compared to Hypex and Purifi. Passed a certain level of fidelity, your ears are not able to distinguish. Get better / more linear speakers and take care of your room, this is the place where the distortion is...
  14. G

Purifi Amps - Top Choice or No?

About Class D from Hypex and Purifi, it's not "good enough", it's better than the traditional class A/AB competition! Numbers speak by themselves. Bought a Hypex Nilai 500 Steron DIY + Hypex Preamp DIY, using my Topping D70 Pro (could have bought a less expensive one like an SMSL D6-s, but i...
  15. G

Unless bad engineering / bad design, shouldn't be affected by external power supply
Top Bottom