Recent content by goldenears

1. G

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

necrobump, just wanted to say that I have an SB2000 nonpro, and it has barely any hiss. I can just hear it when I literally get down on my knees and wear the sub like a headphone with my ear about 10cm from the speaker, but not at all from the couch. Maybe try a different sub cable? Does it...
  2. G

Unusual Speaker Designs

I can read it on my phone OK. I have a large phone though. Sure, it doesn't auto-flow the text but I wouldn't call it "simply unusable". It's just like reading a pdf on the phone. Lots of modern sites with their fancy features and pop-up menus and hidden features that barely work, I would call...
  3. G

How does MQA identify itself?

Thanks for the answers everyone!
  4. G

How does MQA identify itself?

This is a technical question. How do MQA files identify themselves to the device? I guess it's in the last few bits of the audio data, but how does it technically work? I'm guessing it just runs everything through a decoder and just doesn't process frames that don't pass a checksum test?
  5. G

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Please, tell us what the frequency content specifications of "actual music" is.
  6. G

I prefer the stress to be lossless in my music.
  7. G

I wonder if MQA folding would preserve the ultrasonics in the sound of the world's smallest violin, played to lament the anguish of Tidal/MQA being taken advantage of in such a way.
  8. G

Unusual Speaker Designs

It is a bit ugly, but personally I love a nice simple page of text with a few links down the side. The modern web is terrible.
  9. G

Why Are Audiophiles so Bound and Determined to Make Others Waste Money

You really said that to him? What was his response? I'm the same when a particular person at my work talks about horoscopes. I just can't even. When she starts saying, "oh that's because you're a pisces", or whatever. I understand when people talk horoscopes as just a bit of fun conversation...
  10. G

$1200 could hopefully still be better than what he would have gotten from the big box stores.
  11. G

The media does not help with always trying to have two sides to every story. Many things are so well-proven that our whole society actually relies on them being correct, yet the media still on occasion tries to give the opposing view equal time. I think this has something to do with why some...
  12. G

Voice of reason here. I'll try to keep this in mind. I just find it difficult to stay silent when they are talking about things that I'm so sure aren't true. Especially when I think it will influence others and increase the amount of disinformation out there in the world, and there's way too...
  13. G

THIS IS THE WORST ONE FOR SURE. BLOODY INTERCONNECT!!! Funny, I was very similar. I still do DIY electronics here and there. I believe ignorance is definitely part of the believing in magic. There are legitimate differences in cables and connectors that present itself into the MHz ranges...
  14. G

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Definitely. As I understand it, LS50 meta just reduces a bit of distortion. It's still going to be lacking bass which makes crossing over to subs more difficult. Look at Hofmann's Iron Law... good, deep low-frequency sound, a small cabinet size, or high sensitivity. Pick any two.
Top Bottom