Recent content by gnarly

1. G

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

Highly recommend SynAud Cons articles on FIR: https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2013/09/06/fir-ward-thinking-fir-filters-audio-systems/ https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2013/09/27/fir-ward-thinking-part-2/ Here's a snip from part3 of that series, which can be found at...
  2. G

Anything wrong with linear phase through the bass roll off?

You bet, glad it made sense. In 1D space, pure electrical space, there shouldn't be any difference between a linear-phase xover, and the same IIR xover phase-linearized via FIR inverse allpass. If someone builds a FIR file that does nothing more than linearize the IIR xover phase rotation...
  3. G

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

I thought CBT's are more about mitigating floor reflections, than ones from the ceiling...
  4. G

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

I dunno ....about not being able to hear bottom-end group delay. The prevailing opinion seems to be sealed subs sound better than vented, due to their lower order roll-off. I think most of that opinion is probably formed for wrong reasons, mainly due to the difficulty of actually getting...
  5. G

@TimVG, here's paper by Jim Griffon you might find helpful. https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf I have a spreadsheet shading calculator somewhere, on some damn hard drive. If I can find it, will post
  6. G

Anything wrong with linear phase through the bass roll off?

I've studied, set subs and speakers up, measured, then listened .. ....to this issue of system high-pass ...probably more than any other single FIR phenom. A few quick observations about system high pass.... 1. Measurements can look a hell of a lot worse than they sound....both group delay for...
  7. G

Electrostatic speakers?

Thanks for a gracious reply. My apologies too, if i came on too strong... cheers indeed !
  8. G

Electrostatic speakers?

You presume too much Newman. You have no idea how many concurrent systems I keep running, systems that are quite different in how they interact with the room/environment, and how they sound. I value both objective and subjective. I value both blind and sighted listening. I love audio. I do...
  9. G

Thank ya Keith_W, 1a. For sound? Not really. The little TC-9s I used, have a mounting flange only about 3-4mm thick. Even 20kHz waves can bend around that. Besides they can't begin to play that high anyway. If diffraction is a concern, I think I'd rather have felt stips running along side the...
  10. G

Thanks Newman. And yep, I agree with your comments. The issue with any line is always c2c spacing between elements. (and i think for any dang speaker really) I think a killer CBT needs a line of low freq drivers, with sufficient summed driver displacement to cover the bottom end f-3 to target...
  11. G

Electrostatic speakers?

No sir, a million miles away from an acid test.... Those preference "scores" are simply means of statistical distributions from the population of folks involved. Even if those scores, for that limited population, are dead on accurate for preferences of the whole world...... ....does that mean...
  12. G

Electrostatic speakers?

I think it's more a matter of that they are hard to measure..... They are essentially line arrays, both vertically....and horizontally. Plus, they are dipole. A little tougher measurement to make, than sticking a mic in front of a small two/three way box. I either drag them outside or close...
  13. G

CBT's made for a fun DIY project. Used 24 of the same 3.5" drivers, on an 11 ft radius arc. Simple beginner's CBT/line array project. Simple other than figuring out how to make a router circle-cutting jig to handle the big arc! lol I grouped the drivers into six sets of 4 drivers each, for...
  14. G

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

The reference line i use, is measured 2.83V sensitivity. Measured over an interval of time, typically 1 min. LEQ-Z SPL and rms average voltage taken over the same time interval.. Full band pink noise, so the measurement is an integration of the whole spectrum. And then a little bit of math to...
  15. G

Why are speakers measured at 1 meter?

yeppa !!! Critical distance is an irrelevant topic in this thread....heck, ROOMS are irrelevant in this thread. Sensitivity @ either 1W, or better 2.83V, @ 1m is simply a normalization technique, for comparison purposes. Made in either anechoic chamber or free-field measurements ... no damn...
Top Bottom