Recent content by GentleEars

1. G

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

I use DX7 Pro as a pre-amp, connected to a power-amp, AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier via a pair of XLR cables. It works great. On the other hand, I'm not an experienced audiophile, and don't have another quality amplifier with pre-amp output to compare. In my mind, it makes...
  2. G

I think it's not the cable. Here's what I did: I switched DX7 Pro's input to USB, played music from Raspberry Pi over USB, listening with MDR-1AM2 connected to DX7 Pro's 4.4mm balanced headphone out. Within a few inches to this, I turned on Bluetooth on my smartphone, and connected to DX7 Pro...
  3. G

Is it the cable that pickup interference from Bluetooth? Or the internals of DX7 Pro? If I get a fancy braided balanced cable, can I avoid the interference? I am curious, because I'm sure there's lots of Bluetooth waves in my crowded condominium, aside from my own Bluetooth devices.
  4. G

Now I'm curious if other owners experience the same problem. Or there is something wrong with the 4.4mm balanced output on my particular sample of DX7 Pro...
  5. G

Thank you for suggesting that. I switched to USB, the noise seemed to disappear from the 4.4mm balanced output. And I began to appreciate the difference between the balanced playback and the unbalanced playback. The big discovery came next. While I switched a few more times between USB and...
  6. G

I was actually using Bluetooth (gasp!). I usually use the USB connected to Raspberry Pi, but my wife was using Spotify, so I couldn't make use of SpotifyConnect running on Raspberry Pi. Are you saying the noise is at the USB connected to Raspberry Pi? But I've been using the USB connected to...
  7. G

I just plugged in a pair of SONY MDR-A1M2, using the 4.4mm balanced cable that came with the headphones. I hear a static noise in my phones' left ear-cup. When I stop playing music, the noise is audible for a second or two, and reappears when I start playing any music. When I switch to the...
  8. G

NCORE MP Build using Ghentaudio Kit.

My AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S252NC feeds a pair of B&W 685 (1st gen) speakers. They are rated 8 ohms. and sensitivity is 88dB.
  9. G

NCORE MP Build using Ghentaudio Kit.

I bought AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S252NC XLR, the stereo amp, and it doesn't pop. I use it with TOPPING DX7 PRO with a cheap pair of XLR cables from Audiophonics.fr.
  10. G

RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker

Coronavirus lockdown gave me time to review my Raspbian/raspotify configuration. I was able to send Spotify stream to my TOPPING D7x Pro DAC without upscaling Spotify's 44.1kHz content to 48kHz. All I had to do was to write the following to /etc/asound.conf: pcm.!default { type plug slave.pcm...
  11. G

Power Amp for Tannoy Precision 6.2 (Teac AP-505?)

Take a look at PA-S125NC from audiophonics.fr with the same Hypex Ncore module. They also have an RCA version, as well as a more powerful 252 version. I bought the latter with XLR connection, and am very happy with it. I lived in Japan too until a few years ago. Now in Singapore.
  12. G

gvl, I think you're right. Here's the list of sampling rate displayed on DX7 Pro's LCD with different devices feeding its USB port. 44.1kHz: Windows 10 PC of recent vintage with all updates applied, playing Spotify. 48kHz: Raspberry Pi 4 running latest Raspbian Lite with raspotify to emulate...
  13. G

Having written the above, I realize Spotify content is either 44.1KHz or 48Khz, so it's natural DX7 Pro reported 48KHz while decoding a song. FYI, I'm setting Spotify to stream at 320kbps. Maybe, my "perceptual difference" is just that. I will try a Tidal trial and UAPP to see if my perceived...
  14. G

Hi sev1, Yes, I've been wondering why the USB output of my Samsung Galaxy S9 is perceptually inferior to that of my Windows 10 PC. I run the Spotify on the phone feeding the USB port of my DAC via an OTG adapter and a regular USB cable (that came in the box with DX7 Pro), and control it from...
  15. G

Thanks for leveling my head. I will start with a simple RPi 4/USB solution. That will save me money, without narrowing my options. Having said that, I would still like to hear reasoned arguments for reclocked, USB or I2S solutions.
Top Bottom