Recent content by GaryS

1. G

Do you know COBOL...opportunities await

I was referring to other old languages such as VMS
  2. G

Do you know COBOL...opportunities await

COBOL also processes everyone's social security checks. SSA is reported to have more than 4 petabytes of data. Many federal agencies have HP or Dell make custom servers for the old languages they run.
  3. G

Why is there hardly any price competition in hifi?

It seems like Unified Pricing Agreements have also made their way into TVs and other electronics, ie computers and parts.
  4. G

Help building new system using older Macbook?

If your using a amplifier with conventional speaker terminals, you could use the positive and negative leads off of the L or R terminal and output that to the subwoofer. Won't draw that much voltage.
  5. G

Are blu-ray players still worth buying?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/no-were-not-running-out-of-internet-capacity-stop-worrying-and-surf-on-51584652902
  6. G

I do not use 4K because of storage size. However, yes I understand what you are saying. So if you look at your Plex Server under Settings>General>Transcoder you will see disable video stream transcoding. By disabling you push the transcoding to the client/streaming device. I did have a...
  7. G

Help building new system using older Macbook?

You can use the USB port out of the Mac to a DAC that has a USB B port. I think the model laptop you have has a headphone jack that is a combined analog/digital output. So you can connect via Toslink. Also, try getting a Raspberry Pi and install RopieeXL on a SD card. Makes a great network...
  8. G

So here is a quick simplified guide to ripping DVD and blu-ray. 1. Download and install MakeMKV to your computer. Software will decrypt the DVD/Blu and will place a folder of MKV files on your desktop, etc. You will have to buy it after a few months. Maybe $50. 2. Download and install...
  9. G

Amplifier power question

Well, it looks like your "babies" should keep in shape when you need to move them for some light house cleaning.
  10. G

Amplifier power question

Thanks much!! This one graph answers many questions that hi-fi dealers cant answer. Visual representations are always easier for me to quickly understand.
  11. G

Amplifier power question

Very interesting conversation for a non technical person like myself. I have been trying to figure out why dealers want me to buy a 300 watt amplifier when I only listen at 5 Watts. This is why I love ASR.
  12. G

Connecting DAC for listening to streaming (Tidal)

If your using AirPlay on the iPhone/Pad your phone is the streaming device and you are restricted bit rate wise. I believe the Matrix Element I has Tidal and Roon built in. Therefore you could then use the Roon app or the Matrix control app and the Matrix would pull the stream. The Iphone...
  13. G

Connecting DAC for listening to streaming (Tidal)

AirPlay and Airplay 2 on the iPhone/Mac will only support up to 16/44-48. I believe the only way to escape this is not to use iPad or iPhone as the streaming device because of AirPlay and go with your alt solution.
  14. G

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Yes galvanic isolation from your music server.
  15. G

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Amir, you know that someone is going to bring up the fact that you didnt test the SFP with fiber. All the cats on the other sites are stating that fiber is the holy grail for pure sound. :)
Top Bottom