Recent content by G-rig

1. G

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Maybe coax digital out?
  2. G

Leaving Roon, Qobuz and Tidal

People get a bit carried away and obsess over all this instead of enjoying the music. As long as you're listening to CD quality or better it should be fine. Quickly makes you realise how bad mp3's and lossless quality streaming is - youtube music is awful, and have never being a spotify user...
  3. G

Leaving Roon, Qobuz and Tidal

Have been using Tidal as it just works well with my setups (including volumio 3). Have never looked into Deezer much, but wouldn't mind giving it a go. From all reports they have zero interest with helping to develop a volumio plugin so will give that a miss. Seems like QoBuz is a bit more...
  4. G

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Wouldn't think it matters, how many hours running it at a time? Surely it has some heat syncs internally. Others may have a technical reply :) ps. I'd be too OCD to sit it end up like that (unlike the DAC magic which had a stand and designed to be placed both ways).
  5. G

SMSL SU-9 remote problems

Chifi at its best. The manual and website says you have to reset the remote the first time. Beyond me why it wouldn't just work like any other appliance in the last 20y
  6. G

Just like any normal XLR cable connection unless they are being special. 5s Google search, looks pretty standard to me.. Male to female cable...
  7. G

Not wrong, it's probably better getting something through a local store, even online within the same country is better, even if it's slightly more expensive. At least you'd get proper support and advice, with a host of different brands. More opportunity to swap for something different if need be.
  8. G

Yeah as long as you get the latest firmware model. Mine had the old firmware from Amazon AU, returned it. Apparently the seller (Shenzen audio) had to receive it before a refund would be issued but contacted Amazon for an escalated refund. Would take ages getting another one sent out from them...
  9. G

Why not, my price was more like A$700. I sounded good to be honest, and Two way Bluetooth good. Just a few Quirks and didn't play nice with the PC at all. People were going on about that 3nd harmonic be and can't upgrade the firmware by yourself so didn't like that. Good DAC thou
  10. G

Save yourself the grief, chi fi stuff is still premium prices now, it's great on paper but hard to know. Returned mine through Amazon.
  11. G

Streamer MQA

I would recommend paid Volumio, keep the RPi4 for a gapless network streaming (from pc webface and phone app/control), and just get an MQA DAC if that's what you really want. I'm not up to date with decoding vs unfolding but without an MQA dac I think the quality will be capped at 16bit 44.1 to...
  12. G

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Couldn't agree more mate, a lot of people fail to realise it should be about the love of music listening and the enjoyment you get from decent equipment. The sky is the limit with how much one wants to spend trying to reach the pinnacle of sound quality. Too many people hang around on forums...
  13. G

I was reading a few of those threads and the comments, seems like a few bugs, ground loops and poor customer support for a lot of the topping stuff. Shame the D10P balanced has optical outouts not inputs, bit odd. Probably keep the Zen DAC and balanced cable for now, would cost a bit swapping over.
  14. G

Good quality RCAs should be fine if just going from DAC to headphone amp. Was just after some shorter /neater ones but have some directional Taralabs i can use. I can get a bit obsessed about balanced, but not 100% necessary in this use case. The Dx3 Pro+ sounds like the most versatile unit...
  15. G

Thanks, that helps, sounds like the DX3 Pro would go well with the 789 then (wouldn't mind a bit more detail given the headphones and amp are considerably better). Would you still recommend balanced cables to the amp? I could probably still sell the zen dac + 4.4 cable as a bundle. I'd use...
Top Bottom