Recent content by fyton2v

1. F

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

The same sub in the same place is way less loud than with a NAD T777v3. No changes to any dials or levels for what that's worth. I'm not saying the NAD is better out of the box. It's straight junk. I have the sub sitting between my center and right main. I kinda appreciated the extra volume...
  2. F

So I don't think this info will be very helpful. Sorry in advance. I did some A/B comparisons with a Dolby TrueHD movie track between the Dirac tuned 4800 (setup via that suboptimal microphone) and the 'out of the box' Denon experience. I did change the default Denon speaker level settings to...
  3. F

Just to be clear, I didn't use the Audyssey mic. I used a puck-like mic that came with my NAD receiver. The NAD has out of the box support for limited Dirac - It's not worth it. I'll report back here in a few days with some on/off comparisons while playing TrueHD content.
  4. F

Frankly, it's hell to choose an AVR

I went through the same debate and made some poor product decisions over the last few years. I've come to the conclusion that software/firmware and reliability are vastly more important to my enjoyment of an AVR than my imagination around sound quality. It's hard to describe how frustrating...
  5. F

I did not try Audyssey. I did, however, buy the full Dirac license and did a quick 3 position calibration with the cheap microphone that came with the NAD. I can't really report anything meaningful there. I have a poor ear for these things and mostly just need Dirac to set speaker levels. The...
  6. F

Picked up this receiver yesterday to replace a terrible NAD T777v3. The Denon is working flawlessly so far. Without calibration I can't distinguish a sound quality difference between the Denon and the Dirac tuned NAD. And the software implementation on the Denon is so much better than the 777...
  7. F

What to choose between Denon X6700H and X4800H?

Just went through this debate and bought the 4800. The two main things drove me to the 4800 vs the others are: The amplifier design on the 4800 (vs the 3800) and the perception that it will be more reliable, and the HD GUI vs the 6700. The 3800 seems like a great deal right now... even though...
  8. F

Is Anthem overrated? Considering switching to Denon

A few weeks ago I bought an Anthem 740 8K and returned after a couple of days. HDMI passthrough was buggy and the Anthem comes equipped with a pretty noisy fan. Beyond those two issues it may be amazing, or it could have many other problems... I wouldn't know. I couldn't stand the fan so I...
  9. F

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

For $800 bucks it seems you get: - something called D.D.S.C HD digital. - "clock jitter reducer" - 20 wpc - maybe more metal involved but the whole weight difference between the 3800 and 4800 is 1.5lbs. - an extra line on the display. - one extra HDMI port that will go used by 95% of the...
  10. F

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

I really hate imaginary tech. A long time ago I used A BUNCH of monster cable products. High end speaker wire, sub woofer cable, digital coax, etc. I had this stuff because a buddy of mine sent me a big box of it for free. It had to be around $1000 dollars in Monster product, which he also got...
  11. F

Denon AVR-X3800H is released.

Anyone know if the x3800 disables internal amplifiers on all channels if you're only using it as processor?
  12. F

NC502MP

An out of warranty NAD T777v3, with what I believe are a couple of intermittently failing speaker relays. I'm going to add an external power amp to solve the relay issue. I'm also not fond of the NAD, in general. It's HDMI module is flaky, I think it also has a problems with it's DSP, because of...
  13. F

NC502MP

Hi all. I've been researching this forum for days on amplifiers, and I appreciate the skew towards measurement and facts when people are discussing the world of Hi-Fi. But I'd appreciate a bit of perhaps subjective :) advice related to this particular Hypex module. I need a multi-channel amp and...
Top Bottom