Recent content by fricc

1. fricc

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Looking at the board pictures, this is a really nice design. I am impressed by how they have segmented the already tiny board in three sections (PSU, Digital, Analog) with deep ground "trenches" separating them. It is interesting to notice how the DC power lines literally bridge over the trench...
  2. fricc

EAR Yoshino 834L Deluxe Preamp Review

Sorry, I've been imprecise, I was thinking about distortion free range... if my DAC + AMP has a distortion free range of, say, 120dB and the headphones reduce that to 80, the extra range is kind of wasted on me, isn't it? Yes, indeed we can have 120dB of distortion free range at a very...
  3. fricc

Uhm, first off, I hope that my previous post didn't seem like an attack. I immensely enjoy ASR and the work you're doing here, and I feel very grateful for it. Being an electrical engineer by formation, I can definitively appreciate the point of getting better ways of reproducing sound. In my...
  4. fricc

I hear you Amir, and I'm not into valves myself, but I find that I somehow resonate with the sentiment that there might be more to this kind of product that the format of this review might reveal. Ultimately audio products are made for listening to music, and they are (should be?) optimized to...
  5. fricc

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

This might be old hat, but given your preferences, vinyl doesn't look like something that would work for you.
  6. fricc

Impact of Reflections: In-Room Speaker Recordings

On my headphones (AirPod Pro II) the first configuration sounds more spacious and more tonally balanced.
  7. fricc

Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Stage Review (Updated)

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed measuring the device in its normal operating range is a good idea :)
  8. fricc

Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Stage Review (Updated)

Hi Amir, thanks for this new measurement! I'm a bit confused though, why did we need an update? What did we learn that is new from the previous measurement? Cheers, - Fabio
  9. fricc

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

I have had several Stanton 881s and Shure V15Vs over the years. To me they sound quite similar, and I always loved their detailed rendering and good bass response. From your measurements the Shure has a better HF response above 15kHz, probably the beryllium cantilever is actually better...
  10. fricc

Nice to see that the Jico stylus measures reasonably well. I have been using various V15 Vs since it came out in the 80s. It has been my favorite cart since ever. My NOS V15 V (bought it ~2005) has probably accumulated over 100 hours and I'm wondering if I should replace the stylus or just buy...
  11. fricc

Anybody in this thread in the SF Bay Area? It would be fun to meetup and do measurements and listening together :)
  12. fricc

I track my V15 at ~1.25g. I used the HIFI News and the Shure Obstacle Course records to measure things up. I adjusted azimuth to eliminate phase differences between channels and VTA to minimize distortion at 1kHz. I adjusted the weight and anti-skating force to maximize trackability across the...
  13. fricc

I was wondering what the impact is on the distortion measurement. I am pretty sure it actually dampens the LF resonances, but I'd like to quantify the distortion tradeoff we have with that.
  14. fricc

RE: Shure V15 V I have one of these, on a Thorens 160 with a Mission 774 arm (the original). I tried to characterize it with a HIFI News record, but indeed the record is not so good. One thing I've found is that the brush "sings". I have been transcribing my best vinyl over the years, and you...
  15. fricc

JBL SA600 Vintage Amplifier Review

Oh, sorry I missed that! I used to spend a lot of time in p-spice when I was in college (in the 90s ). Thanks for sharing! - Fabio
Top Bottom