Recent content by Fowly

1. Fowly

Truthear Nova IEMs

Claiming to maintain "scientific standards" by comparing two different measurement rigs with two different pairs of IEMs (same model, but not the same sample), is not very credible. It's peak armchair philosophy.
  2. Fowly

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

I don't think anyone will disagree with what you said, but the "myth" is that breaking-in a speaker is absolutely necessary for them to operate in the way their intended. It's different from a warmup that needs to be done everytime you power on the speakers. This is supposed to be done one time...
  3. Fowly

He says that driver break-in can make a difference, but it is so minute that it shouldn't be audible. He also says that he worked at JBL before, and they did power tests where new PA drivers were blasting 140dB SPL for multiple hours, as a stress test to make sure they could withstand the power...
  4. Fowly

Interesting interview of Nate from Kali Audio about speaker break-in : https://www.instagram.com/p/CyRmryrvlxH/ Pretty much tells what we already know here, but it's nice to see more manufacturers being real about this.
  5. Fowly

Looking for in-ear measurement microphones for customized HRTF

Alright, it now makes sense to me. Thanks ! How does it sound ? I'm not convinced that an ear canal blocking microphone can produce convincing results for this task, as they give a completely different HRTF compared to the sound received at the eardrum (ear canal blocking is ECEbl in the figure...
  6. Fowly

I don't think I understand the setup completely, I never used Impulcifer. Is it comparing the room-response measured by a omnidirectional mic (like the Earthworks) to the measurements made by the binaural mics ? That would make sense to me, but you said that it compares the room-speaker response...
  7. Fowly

How are you calibrating the frequency response of the microphones themselves ? Do they come with their own measurements ?
  8. Fowly

Very interesting, thanks for the share. I'm wondering how much inaccuracies does the external placement of the capsule creates. It's probably in the lower frequencies, so maybe this system is accurate after all. About the impulse response recording, I want to use those microphones to capture...
  9. Fowly

Has anyone tried Dolby PHRTF, Genelec Aural ID or Mesh2HRTF?

I don't think there's any point at paying huge amounts of money for those systems : - They rely on converting 3D geometry in HRTFs, which can have its degree of inacurracies. - They rely on average frequency response curves for headphones, which is more or less accurate based on the unit-to-unit...
  10. Fowly

Thanks, so this is similar to the probes used in "real ear measurements" in the medical field right ? I'm not familiar with those devices, but is it suitable for my use case, which is both measuring and impulse response recording ?
  11. Fowly

Hi everyone, I'm looking for in-ear measurement microphones, similar to what Sony is using in this video : Just like on the video, I'm planning on recording true stereo IRs for speaker simulation on headphones, as well as doing customized headphones calibration. I have trouble finding...
Top Bottom