Recent content by excaliburm

1. E

Avoiding Ground Loop Balanced To Unbalanced

Update: the balanced to single-ended converter with common-mode rejection fixed my issues (without a ground lift of any sort).
  2. E

Thanks, I'll try the attached circuit with both ground attached and ground floating to see how it works out.
  3. E

Does the same hold true for the actual ground pin itself (i.e. Pin 1 in XLR)? I.e. both the shield and Pin 1 are only connected on the source end. If this is the case, why do XLR cables ever bother to connect Pin1/the shield on both ends, as it seems only to cause problems. The confusing part...
  4. E

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. So then, what is the purpose of grounding pin 1/shield of the XLR input? Since the op-amp input is differential, the ground reference voltage doesn't matter for our purposes. Suppose Pin 1/the shield is not grounded to the ground of this circuit (but remains...
  5. E

How do balanced connections avoid ground loops in the general case then (or why are they recommended as a way to avoid a ground loop)?
  6. E

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. For reference, this is the circuit diagram (from a similar listing) It looks like the differential signal is correctly subtracted. The only thing I am not sure about is that the loop is not actually broken (i.e. the ground is shared on both ends)...
  7. E

My understanding is that DI boxes solve the inverse problem (single ended to balanced) and also are intended for impedance changing. I would expect that the conversion is directional, and converting from balanced to single ended is easier.
  8. E

So using a line-level transformer is certainly an option ( I don’t need conversion in that case as my AVR also has a single ended output). I was wondering if there is any way to get the ground loop eliminating benefit of balanced with a balanced source (but single ended sink). This would...
  9. E

What does converting balanced to single-ended have to do with the safety ground? I am not planning on using a cheater plug with the sub, as I am concerned about the safety issues. Are you familiar with a box which implements this correctly? If I recall correctly some cables/conversion boxes...
  10. E

My sub has 60hz hum, which seems to be caused by a ground loop (only manifests when connecting via RCA cable to the receiver). The sub is powered by a different outlet (no way to work around this), so a ground loop would make sense. There is quite a bit of discussion on the forum to avoid...
  11. E

Compact Center Channel Speaker

After doing some research, it seems some options (which fit the size constraints) are 1. Polk ES35 2. Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 3. JBL Studio Center 4. Klipsch Reference Centers (RP-404C II, R-34C, R-30C) Give some of the reviews for the first three, I am tempted to pick up a...
  12. E

Why is this? Is the fact that the center is primarily playing dialogue not mean that quality matters less? Also, can a poorly measuring speaker be fixed by RoomEQ such as Dirac? Is there any component of a subpar speaker (other than loudness) that Room EQ can't fix? Sadly, seems difficult to find.
  13. E

I am looking for a compact center channel speaker which can fit inside my media console (BDI Sector). Unfortunately, the top shelf is designed for soundbars, so any speaker would have to be less than 7.75in D x 6.5in H. The rest of the setup makes a center which doesn't fit in the console...
  14. E

Speaker Wire vs RCA

I see, what about the inverse concern, speaker cables causing interference due to the large amounts of current flowing through them? It makes sense that a lower-power signal can't interfere a high-power one, but why can't two high-power signals interfere with each other? Or is there some reason...
  15. E

Speaker Wire vs RCA

Why are line-level interconnects (RCA cables) generally coaxial, while speaker wire is typically parallel wires of bare copper? Is it a function of coaxial cables not being able to handle the current? My understanding of the design of coax (ground shielding the signal) was to avoid both causing...
Top Bottom