Recent content by Elkerton

1. E

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

I do not know the Q Acoustics, but own M105s and use them in a room that is roughly 7x4m and sit about 2.5m away. My audiophile friends are amazed by them as they are (they tend to make even really old mono recordings as listenable as possible), but I generally pair them with subs at mid points...
  2. E

Great recordings of classical music

Of the 10 recordings I have of Das Lied Von Der Erde, which include all mentioned above save for the BIS, I favour the Baker/ Haitink for Janet Baker's singing. Her Audite recording is also fine though not as well recorded. FD does extremely well too, particularly considering the songs were...
  3. E

High pass filter/hearing problem

I think you are misinterpreting the curves. The mid range is not being taken away. Tone controls add or reduce bass and treble. While it is very nice to consider the recording you are listening to sacrosanct, many can use a little adjustment, and tone controls work well for this purpose. They...
  4. E

High pass filter/hearing problem

It sounds as if you are older because the sensitivities you experience are common amongst older folk and some women, who prefer reduced highs and bass a little (Sean Olive gave a presentation recently, and this was one of the findings mentioned). Have you tried using simple tone controls? They...
  5. E

Spin-o-rama for synthetic Bipole and Dipole speakers?

Section 9.4 of Toole's Sound Reproduction goes into 'boundary-friendly speakers' like the Allison Ones and the AR-9s. Figure 9.14 shows an Infinity Beta ES250 and sweeps on axis, +or- 30°, +or- 10° vertically, and sound power in its bipole configuration. The curves are very good.
  6. E

Best classical chamber music albums

Wow, so many Brahms enthusiasts, and trumpeters for the quartets too!
  7. E

I have to agree about Brahms. I rarely play his symphonic stuff, but I have multiple versions of 23 out of 24 of his chamber works, and agree again, that his string quartets are hard to get into. OTOH, the piano quartets, the piano quintet, the string quintets, the cello and clarinet sonatas are...
  8. E

From some 400 chamber music CDs (not to mention almost as many LPs and cassettes), I’ve chosen some of the hits. I would also include some already mentioned, like either the Busch’s or Takacs’ Beethoven, or the Schubert String Quintet. Most are rather more serious than the Paganini, amongst the...
  9. E

Share your favorite free (or low cost) tweaks!

A partially filled 16" bicycle inner tube under a board with my DD turntable on top to lower the resonant frequency below anything the subs can put out works like a charm. To test, place stylus on a stationary record and turn up the gain- feedback, a problem; feedback gone, problem solved.
  10. E

In the good old days gentleman dealer used blind testing to save audiophiles' money!

sigh... In my market in south-western Ontario, Canada, I did much the same, careful to qualify a customer to suggest what they needed, selling the steak instead of the sizzle. Alas, many other salesmen were much more adept at selling the sizzle than I the steak. I don't miss being in the business.
  11. E

Anyone here own Allison Acoustics speakers?

In the 4th edition of Sound Reproduction by Floyd Toole, he discusses Allison’s work, but unfortunately, has no measurements of the Allison One. He does go on to discus the Acoustic Research AR-9, which” incorporated some of Allison’s adjacent boundary compensation ideas” and gives measurements...
  12. E

Why aren’t there more university level controlled tests?

Too, if you read earlier double-blind speaker listening tests done for academia (read: the AES journal for example), the products auditioned are not named. As a consumer, I was delighted when the third edition of Sound Reproduction actually named the speakers in its pages, but that is unusual.
  13. E

Stereo 2.1 - sub integration with tape rec loop on Denon PMA 700 AE

BGLeduc correctly commented that the record out is at a fixed volume level which will not be affected by the Denon’s volume control, so the sub’s volume level will only be controlled by its volume control :-( Sorry.
  14. E

Stereo 2.1 - sub integration with tape rec loop on Denon PMA 700 AE

That should work just fine. I've recommended it to another who bought a PSB sub with low and high pass filter. He never complained :) For playback, you will choose the source, like CD, with the Record Out selector and the Input selector will be set at whichever tape monitor position you choose...
Top Bottom