Recent content by Eldgrim

1. E

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

If I recall correctly, the way SA-1 is designed makes the output volume the same whether you use RCA or XLR input when XLR input is double the voltage of RCA input, due to the gain on RCA being higher than XLR.
  2. E

Best headphones for Rock/Metal under $2K

It depends on what you mean by detail and what headphones you compare it to. It is not a bright headphone with exagerrated highs but rather neutral or a few dB under neutral in the highs, if that is what you are trying to figure out.
  3. E

Consensus on the best mid-fi Hifiman to get these days?

Sounds like the headphones weren't driven properly. Was it with your Hifiman? Many planar magnetic drivers have low resistance and are more dependent on current than voltage to be driven properly. Could be that the IEMagni simply does not output enough current for your headphone while still...
  4. E

Here are some measurements to show the difference in frequency response between the HD600 and HD560s. Almost identical except in the bass and around 4-6k. The bass under 100hz is really lacking on the HD600. If the HD560s has a larger soundstage then I would go with that as the HD600 series...
  5. E

From what I remember a lot of people tested it with the HD6XX which has the same power reqs as the HD600, and it worked well with no issues. Specs also indicate that it shouldn't be an issue. More than sufficient for HD560s. It is quite easy to drive.
  6. E

From what I remember reading, they are supposed to be more efficient than the previous drivers. So they should require less power to drive compared to the previous version.
  7. E

I see. If you have to exchange for a Hifiman then take a look at the HE400se. It is around $150 and is supposed to be pretty good from what I have heard.
  8. E

You don't need an $800 setup for the HD600. There are plenty of cheap amps that will drive them, like the Atom. But if you insist on Hifiman, the Sundara are supposed to be great. But I think they are around $300 new, perhaps $200 used.
  9. E

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Ark Audio in Sweden recently started selling DCA stuff. I'm pretty sure they can ship to most of Europe, but write them an email and ask!
  10. E

Schiit Modius + A30 pro stack clipping in Tidal

Close to a 100% is fine. As for the muddy sound, could be something with the mastering of the song or Tidals streaming technology. Have you tried the same song on a different service like Qobuz or a local FLAC file and observered if it sounds different than on Tidal? Can't help you out with...
  11. E

Try Hifi quality instead and see if it registers clipping. It could give you a better experience since Master Quality is not better, just different than Hifi Quality, and the fact that the Modius does not support MQA unfolding. Also try to play a local 44kHz FLAC file and see if it registers...
  12. E

What stream quality setting are you using in Tidal?
  13. E

Yeah, I think it is really well deserving of the praise it gets. It exceeded my expectations for the sound signature and met my expectations on the other qualities. I think it is worth the price considering the great sound and craftsmanship. It was a demo unit so I had to return it but I'm...
  14. E

TL;DR. Auteur >= VC > VO. Overall, I prefer the Auteur for its neutrality and the EQ-flexibility that brings should I want it. Disregarding pressure-sensitivity and EQ, the VC were more enjoyable for rock/metal. The VO required a lot of EQ to sound decent, though not more enjoyable than the...
  15. E

Geshelli Labs NEW J2 Dac

Got an answer from Geno of Geshelli Labs. "Roughly 2.5Vrms output for XLR and RCA @ 0dbfs [max input sine]." This is in line with their measurements on the website. He also gave rough estimates for the lower gain stages but will get back to me with more specifics when he has the data in...
Top Bottom