Recent content by edechamps

1. edechamps

Atmos finally decoded in PC/Mac

I don't really know much about DirectShow really, aside from it being based on COM and having a reputation for having a complicated API that's difficult to work with. Have you considered contributing to ffmpeg, such as adding a new filter to libavfilter? For example the speaker layout could be...
  2. edechamps

By the way @VoidX, since I have you here… there's something I've been wondering about for quite some time now. The point of Audio Objects (i.e. Atmos) is to support non-standard speaker layouts. But let's say I do have a standard speaker layout (e.g. 5.1 placed according to ITU-R BS.775). Is...
  3. edechamps

@VoidX I didn't realize at first that you single-handedly implemented an AC-4 (i.e. Atmos) decoder, including the immersive audio part, all by yourself, complete with a visualizer and renderer, and open source to top it all off. That's quite impressive. Congrats! I just gave it a try with some...
  4. edechamps

I haven't tried to play a 10+ channel file in any video player app if that's what you're asking. That's not the point I want to make. I'm just responding to claims that high-level Windows audio APIs such as DirectSound cannot be used for >8-channel output. These claims are not true. If a...
  5. edechamps

DirectSound has been shown to play 10 channels. There is hard evidence with complete trace logs that show DirectShow properly streaming 10-channel audio, down to individual API calls. You can try this yourself using e.g. Virtual Audio Cable and, say, the FlexASIO DirectSound backend, or...
  6. edechamps

I don't know what you mean by "low level". In software engineering, the term "level" is short for "level of abstraction" and is typically applied to APIs, so your message doesn't make sense to me. If you're saying that merely using an API is "low level", then everything is "low level". WDM-KS...
  7. edechamps

That's not true. There is hard evidence of all Windows audio APIs (MME, DirectSound, WASAPI - both shared and exclusive - and WDM-KS) working with at least 10-channel output with a real hardware audio device, as long as the audio device is configured properly. You can verify this for yourself...
  8. edechamps

Bass arriving out of phase at the listening position

I don't think that's true when trying to fix issues that are themselves minimum phase (e.g. room modes). My understanding is that the best way to address minimum phase frequency response deviations is with minimum phase filters, because the original phase response of the system and the phase...
  9. edechamps

To be fair, you are going at it a bit backwards compared to most people. Most people start with a minimum-phase filter, which is usually simpler to implement (IIR vs. FIR), more efficient and has zero latency. Then they wonder if they should use a more sophisticated linear-phase filter instead...
  10. edechamps

Understanding How the Klippel NFS Works

Assuming you meant "two identical speakers", your question doesn't seem to make sense. NFS data is anechoic data. The summed anechoic response of two identical speakers is just the response of one speaker doubled (i.e. +6dB). Obviously that's not very useful.
  11. edechamps

I wouldn't expect that to be audible (as long as you apply the same filter to all channels equally, of course). Feel free to ABX between a minimum-phase and a linear-phase filter if you want to make sure. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Reverb/reflections in a room can and do cause...
  12. edechamps

What I should have said is, there is a nice view from that window that only works if I look at it from the current angle. If I rotate myself 180°, the view outside the window is blocked. Sunlight reflection off the TV will also increase. It's not the end of the world, but I'd like to exhaust...
  13. edechamps

In general, EQ can fix anything as far as frequency response and summation are concerned, as long as (1) there is only one listening position and (2) one is not trying to pull deep nulls. The thing is, some problems have to do with spatial impressions of sound (e.g. stereo image), not just...
Top Bottom