Recent content by eboleyn

1. E

DEQX Premate 8 digital active crossover / DSP

I received my Beta Pre-8 unit already and it indeed looks very nice, but due to some work and family commitments have not been able to do any real testing on it yet. Hopefully by the time I get around to it in the next few weeks the SW update is complete.
  2. E

How important is imaging to you?

My personal comment about your last paragraph is to say: "just because we don't have a consistent metric for something doesn't mean it's not real". Having said that, pushing for proper measurements whenever possible is of course better than not doing it!
  3. E

How important is imaging to you?

So I've spent nearly the whole of my climb into my audiophile hobby (20+ years) to reach "ideal sound reproduction", which I finally think was achieved about 3 years ago. Until that time, there was decent stereo imaging, but it was "lacking something" so to speak, then my setup got a jump in...
  4. E

AudioChiemgau motion feedback amplifier with Doppler compensation

What would particularly interest me is how the correction works at large volume/power output. Natural distortion of multiple kinds generally increases with higher volume, so it would be most illuminating if that more gross error could be corrected.
  5. E

Hmm. How is it different? From the short descriptions the only difference I'm seeing is that the sensors might be different. I.e. Rythmik using a sensing coil in the speaker unit, while the MFB thing above says it's using a MEMS-based physical detector separate from the speaker coil.
  6. E

Maybe I'm commenting a bit too "drive-by" and not reading the detail well enough, but how is this different from say what Rythmik Audio calls "Direct Servo" they have used in their subwoofer amps for years? I.e. using a sensing coil in the speaker driver unit that feed into the amplifier...
  7. E

Best China speaker parts supplier for DIY on AliExpress, any valued recommendations?

You could also try Solen (website "solen.ca"), which even though I'm in the US I sometimes use as well. In addition to their own branded stock of inductors and capacitors, they source parts from some manufacturers that Madisound doesn't carry, for example.
  8. E

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

"Horns" vs. "hORNS"?
  9. E

Rythmik FM8

Well, admittedly I took some license here, but it seemed to be as much about "stereo subs", and I'd considered the FM8's but decided in the end on something different from the same line.
  10. E

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

So I've always thought this was an interesting claim, as it has not been borne out in my own life. In fact a significant part of the drive that led me to do DIY speaker construction was both mine and my wife's dissatisfaction with our previous HT set (pro audio based) which measured quite flat...
  11. E

Rythmik FM8

If anyone's in or passing through Portland/Oregon/USA a demo could be arranged. :)
  12. E

Rythmik FM8

For the F18s? It's dual-use Home Theater and Music, sitting under some DIY speakers I made. Admittedly most music recordings don't care about the ability of the F18s to dig into really low frequencies cleanly, but when they do, they sound simply amazing! More directly related to the current...
  13. E

Rythmik FM8

I considered both dual FM8s or L22s for a while, but ended up buying a pair of F18s instead and my monitors sit on top of them. I currently cross at 80 Hz, but have tested crossing higher even up to 160 Hz and it still worked well.
  14. E

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

So, at least by the standards of what I've been able to audition around here reasonably (in Portland/Oregon/USA), my DIY speakers have left me pretty satisfied. The reasons come down to: Specifically going for "end game sound" with some of the highest quality drivers I can buy, so the parts...
  15. E

Sound quality: Vertical directivity vs speaker radiation width

Sure, I wasn't trying to say that we only have horizontal localization capability, just that it's notably better in that axis on average. Hmm, fair criticism... perhaps it should have said "...which have often been considered an acceptable...". I personally do care about vertical directivity...
Top Bottom