Recent content by e_h

1. E

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

That definitely makes sense, thank you for educating me :) Regarding the PEQ settings: I've tried various other presets (Oratory, Crinacle and others) but I prefer Amir's so far, thanks for the suggestion though!
  2. E

I'm using Amir's EQ preset (below) for HD 800S, with EQ APO/PEACE. My question is why the preamp is -11.7 when the biggest gain is +8.0? I'm sure it makes sense, I would just like to understand why. Partly because in my current setup I need every dB I can get, ergo if I can set the preamp to...
  3. E

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

I guess it depends on what your source outputs, but I'm definitely not the right person to give advice about this...
  4. E

I use the "Full" Dolby dynamic range setting - if I understand correctly, this means that the G6 doesn't do anything in that department :) Edit: I'm not sure what you mean regarding audio quality, but both DAC and amp measure quite well from what I understand here. I don't know if the external...
  5. E

Thanks :) Yes, the G6 amp is very good but I've found that when using it with my preamp of -11.7dB, Windows volume 100% in certain games is barely enough for the HD 800S. My (non-golden) ears don't notice any distortion/clipping etc, but I want more headroom, hence the Atom Amp. Regarding the...
  6. E

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I've basically followed the advice from @Robbo99999 in this thread. For virtual surround I have SBX on (output mode: audio effects, in Soundblaster Connect) but all effects turned off except surround (settled on surround=33 after trying various...
  7. E

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

I'm considering different options to get more power and better sound for my headphones. My setup today is PC USB>SoundblasterX G6>HD800S, with EQ APO pregain set to -12db. I would add the Atom Amp+ after the SBX G6 (the latter being used as DAC and for virtual surround), connecting them with a...
  8. E

Toslink switch and TosLink/Coaxial SPDIF converter - Review and measurements

Thank you for your replies, @MC_RME I didn't quite understand this, so please bear with me. - What do you mean by there will be no switching? Let's say I have both the Wiim and SBX connected to the Toslink switch in question, and they are both powered on, what will happen? I assumed that the...
  9. E

Toslink switch and TosLink/Coaxial SPDIF converter - Review and measurements

@MC_RME please forgive my following stupid questions (and MS Paint schematics). I'm considering buying the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for use in the setup outlined in the attached jpeg ("SBX" refers to my SoundblasterX G6, used for virtual surround in headphones). PC source is used for music (mainly...
  10. E

Yes, but I use them mostly for gaming (I switch to desktop monitors+sub for music). Noticeable improvement in resolution/details, and the sound is more "out of my head" with 800S compared to 560S. Definitely adds to the realism/immersion. End game for me :)
  11. E

I just got this device and I've been trying to figure out the settings. My setup is laptop>usb>SBXG6>hp out>HD800S (with EQ APO/PEACE enabled), and I will be using it mainly for gaming but also for music. For games I use the 7.1 configuration with surround effect turned up to 69 (all other audio...
  12. E

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Is there any difference (in terms of sound quality) between using EQ APO/PEACE at the source, vs applying EQ later in the chain with a DAC/amp setup? For context: I recently bought a pair of good headphones and intend to use them with my Windows 11 laptop as a source (for gaming and music). I'm...
  13. E

USB to AES/EBU: the solution?

I emailed Amiteque Electronics (info[at]amiteque.com) - it costs 95 USD and can be ordered via email it seems :)
  14. E

GLM4 4.2.0 a big improvement in sound quality

Yes, that will work - I have a similar setup: PC -> USB-cable -> Douk U2 -> spdif/RCA-to-BNC-cable -> Neutrik NADITBNC-M -> AES/EBU-cable -> 8330a -> 8330a -> 7350a. The sound should be the same for my setup (please correct me if I'm wrong), while saving a few hundred. I also looked at the...
  15. E

PHIREE U2S 2019 & Douk Audio U2 Review and Measurements (Digital USB to S/PDIF Interfaces)

I recently received my Douk (not pro) and it actually works fine in Windows 11 (fully updated), without downloading any drivers :)
Top Bottom