Recent content by Doobrey

1. Doobrey

BMR dispersion

Could you combat this by rotating the drivers?
  2. Doobrey

BMR dispersion

They don’t project sound like a conventional cone driver, you can move all around the room and the sound barely changes, like OLEDs viewing angles.
  3. Doobrey

BMR dispersion

Absolutely and the small minx12 are supposedly excellent for height channels, philharmonic towers use little $20 bmr drivers in their $4000 tower speaker because they perform so well.
  4. Doobrey

BMR dispersion

It’s actually far better than speakers I’ve heard in any modern tvs. Minx 22 is a 1.5 way design with the lower unit being a custom bmr woofer to reinforce the low mids/high bass. Not two of the same driver put In parallel, they work really well in my set up for a surround system where my other...
  5. Doobrey

BMR dispersion

Noob question, bmr is known for its wide 180 degree dispersion but is that only horizontal? If I were to say use a Cambridge minx 22 on its side for a center channel would it matter? Is the dispersion equally vertical and horizontal?
  6. Doobrey

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I think so, you’d think with all the noise and distortion it would be horrible but apparently I like it more.
  7. Doobrey

I have no way of recording unfortunately so I can’t show you that. My cartridge and phono stage measure flat so I wouldn’t expect a massive roll off in the treble for example being responsible
  8. Doobrey

Something I’m struggling to understand is why my system sounds much better when playing vinyl when compared to digital using the same album master. Yes the vinyl is a digital master from the CD so it’s essentially a slow spinning silver disc with worse specs but when level matched and comparing...
  9. Doobrey

Which gauge?

Yeah I meant like 2 ends connected to the amplifier and then split to 4 at the speaker terminals
  10. Doobrey

Which gauge?

While we’re on the subject of conductor size, how does biwire add up in awg for example 2x runs of 14 to one speaker would equal? Ignoring wether is pointless or not I’m just interested how it would work out.
  11. Doobrey

Which gauge?

Excellent thank you
  12. Doobrey

Which gauge?

I have the Wharfedale diamond 12.4 speakers and Arcam SA20 amplifier Speakers 8-4ohm / 88db sensitivity Amp 90watts 8ohm / 150watts 4ohm For a 4 meter length pair of cables would 14awg be enough or do I need 12awg? I wouldn’t want to “restrict” the sound.
  13. Doobrey

Measurements and sibilance

I have noticed with a few different dacs I own and tried that some seem to exaggerate or dull sibilance. It’s made me wonder what’s going on to cause this issue, is it as simple as the digital filter type or is there something deeper within the measurements that would make sibilance such an...
  14. Doobrey

Help me understand this crossover

What benefit does having a higher internal volume bring?
  15. Doobrey

Help me understand this crossover

Thank you for the detailed reply, that’s just what I wanted to hear, I’d much rather have bass clarity over added quantity. In this case i will for for the floor stander over the larger bookshelf.
Top Bottom