Recent content by Dogfinder

1. D

BIC EV-15 Eviction Measurements

So... After getting a mic and screwing around with REW... 1. Here is the stock crossover with damping mods and the goldwood midrange: I am not sure why the top end waterfalls off a cliff at >4.5khz 2. Here's the same mods with a cheapo crossover: Almost 10Db down 2-5kHz...
  2. D

So, hypothetically... if we were looking at the 15" woofer for replacement... there seem to be a bewildering array of options. The first thing that jumps off the page about the stated speaker specs is the overall 95dB sensitivity. I tried to match the midrange (Goldwood 85/8 @ 96dB) to this...
  3. D

That looks more appropriate!! Thanks!
  4. D

The adventure continues... After modifying the second speaker, I added the damping and the cosmetic "upgrades", and spending some time listening, the OE Xover is much better than the cheepos. Hands down. The cheapo is "thin" sounding, it's losing a lot of midrange and bass, and just inferior...
  5. D

Next steps are in the books… here’s some shots of the stock cabinet. Polyester fill. Empty cab with the blanket removed, look at your glorious bracing!! That tweeter… And a few progress shots of my damping build, also did a midrange replacement, but no xover mods. (Yet) Happy to teak a...
  6. D

Thanks again. If the mid and tweeter are fighting one another, my stuff isn't going to fix that! On the crossover side, I went ahead and got some Dayton poly capacitors, and will swap those onto the original xover, and give it a listen. Hoping for, but not expecting miracles. Hoping to get...
  7. D

Thanks for the response. Replacing the midrange was sort of a response to the badness I interpreted in your graphs at 1 & 2kHz, as was adding the slight tilt (if badness happens off-axis - change the axis), as well as some negative stuff that Dennis Murphy had said about the mid. That, and at...
  8. D

Thanks. Based on the cap ratings (2.2, 10, 17uf), I am trying to guess at the crossover points for the Bic. The 8ohm chart I am using me is giving me... strange frequency values. Clearly I am missing something. Or everything. Maybe 4500 & around 560?
  9. D

Your secrets are safe with me. So... pushing deeper into the rabbit hole. I Identify 3 capacitors on the stocker: 1) 10uf, looks like a Dayton 10uf goes around $9 2) 17uf, Dayton for $8 (why is this physically smaller than the 10uf??) 3) MET 225J? Looking this up, it sounds like its a small...
  10. D

Thinking more about your comment - I would think that 850hz is way high for that 15" woofer. Like you, I don't know what the crossover points are for the stockers - since my new midrange is published with a lower range of 500hz, I wonder how that factors into that low end and will play with...
  11. D

Thanks Severian! I suspect you are right. I saw some interesting 3-way crossovers (not bi-ampable) on Parts Express, but was reluctant to throw Dayton money at it.... At $26 for 2 cheapos, I was willing to take a chance. Comparing the OE and cheapo, there are more bits and pieces on el...
  12. D

Well, I did a thing. I took one of the pair of beasts apart, put damping in the cabinet, replaced the crossover and the body of the horn, and tilted the cabinet back a few degrees. Then I spent the next several days switching L/R (to the annoyance of the SO and amusement of my kids). Left...
  13. D

Those look sparkly! What are they?
  14. D

Cool thread, fellas. Thanks for all of your thought and work. I've had these speakers for 5+ years now, powering them with an Adcom GFA 5400 and an NAD reciever as a straight 2 channel (music only) in a huge room with 25 foot ceilings. Got the speakers off Craigslist for around $200 for the...
Top Bottom