Recent content by dfuller

1. D

Most linear near field studio monitors?

Frequency response (on and off axis), distortion. That's about it.
  2. D

Most linear near field studio monitors?

Mixer to mixer, this is a really common misconception. We already are reducing the transient response of a woofer by introducing a low pass filter - because frequency response and time domain response are inverse of one of another.
  3. D

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers - II

I don't think it ruins everything, mind, but we're definitely hearing more of it than we are the speakers themselves if that makes sense.
  4. D

What is on your workbench right now?

Another guitar amp that someone else tried to repair and failed miserably at. This time, it might not even be economically feasible. It's a cheap amp and some traces got absolutely mangled. May or may not be repairable, I don't know. Running wires would be doable, if the connected passives...
  5. D

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers - II

I think I have a favorite, and it's [redacted]. I used Pro Tools in X-Or solo mode with Solo In Place to compare them even more quickly. That said, I have some critiques of the samples. 1, I had to pull them into Pro Tools and time align the different samples so I could flip back and forth...
  6. D

Kanto YU6 Measurements (Powered Monitor)

Active speakers have active crossovers. These do not.
  7. D

Kanto YU6 Measurements (Powered Monitor)

These are effectively passive speakers that have the amp in one of the boxes. I don't think I would put these in the same realm as a proper active speaker. Also... That port/box resonance is easily one of the worst I've seen in ages.
  8. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

They probably both sound great.
  9. D

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

These are live sound reinforcement hardware. They're pretty noisy and pretty grungy sounding.,
  10. D

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

Home audio non-parametric EQs like this just strike me as kind of silly. They're not versatile enough to be useful for actually dialing something in, and their performance is often lacking. That said at $300 beggars can't be choosers, good pro EQs cost a freakin' lot more than that.
  11. D

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

In some situations yes - most neo mags demagnetize at relatively low temperatures so high power handling is not a particularly fantastic use case for most neo alloys. I think with ATC it's a combination of them being used to how ferrite behaves, far less chance of it failing prematurely, and...
  12. D

Yep, though they're definitely sized and intended for use closer to 310s (they're a little bit bigger, and because of the monstrously huge ferrite motors that ATC uses quite a bit heavier).
  13. D

KH310 is a lot smoother on and off axis, but ATC wins out in the distortion department (but only in the low end, albeit by quite a bit if Resolution's tests are anything to go by). The ATCs actually largely could be better, but only if they waveguided the tweeter a bit more. It doesn't have to...
  14. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

IMO, they don't make the best speakers on earth - they make generally competent speakers. They're not the best. But, I think for professional situations, "generally competent" is fine, because support and reliability (both of which ATC does marvelously well) matter just as much. You could have...
Top Bottom