Recent content by dfuller

1. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Any decent DAC can drive them properly. Yeah, it's the older 20ASL Pro. They use a standard MDF box now. Don't think there was much if any sonic change, but the MDF is certainly cheaper - and they make most of their cabinets in house now, which for obvious reasons they can't do with cast aluminum.
  2. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

They did change to a more typical cabinet, yes. I can't say I noticed that compression when I demoed, but I also don't get that loud.
  3. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

I mean, not really. My KH420s beat out SCM50s handily... and I like the SCM50s.
  4. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Very few. What's confusing is that the dual suspension in theory would let them drop the crossover point substantially (which IMO would be preferable on the 3 way, LR4 at 3k instead of 3.5k would improve the response around there a lot).
  5. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

yeah, pharmaceuticals are held to an entirely different standard than stuff like loudspeakers tbh. And yes, I'd bet money a huge amount of cost is paying their (skilled) employees. Unrelated: That tweeter waveguide/flange is much deeper than I thought - I had thought it was closer to some of...
  6. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

It looks to be in a pretty good state to me. Workstations clean, highly skilled assembly workers, and I guess they test every single driver with a Klippel QC rig which is pretty neat.
  7. D

Are passive radiator monitors true superior to ported, or are there any cons?

Turns out passives actually have steeper roll-off than vented cabinets, which means greater group delay and somewhat worse transient behavior. Whether or not this is audible is another question, but it's certainly the case that it exists. In a ported design you have a 4th order roll-off -...
  8. D

No sound coming from tweeter

A typical 2-way speaker (one with a tweeter and a woofer) crosses the tweeter to the midwoofer usually somewhere between 1500 to 4000hz. When you don't have a midrange, the midrange is divided between the tweeter and the woofer - lower going to the woofer, higher to the tweeter. You don't need a...
  9. D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Source: "trust me, bro"
  10. D

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

It's closer to 5-7 usually, from what I can see. Regardless... you're still looking at ~7-10 drivers for an equivalent radiating area as a relatively small midrange, and that just doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't really have any benefits vs a more conventional design. Part of the advantage...
  11. D

AI generated music

I viscerally hate this on a basic human level.
  12. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Hell, for the same money you could get SCM50s (the best balanced of the bunch, IMO) and a pair of subs and still have money left over.
  13. D

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

Well, I guess Andrew Jones and I agree, since I noted the same thing on the first page of this thread.
  14. D

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Well, look at that. Erin has receipts that he was threatened with legal action. The change in measurement axis and the feet made almost no difference - changes of maybe a dB at most. @Eric Alexander you should be ashamed of yourself for what you've done.
  15. D

Dynaudio New Confidence 20 Remade with measurement

Wow, that's impressive. Is this your own project?
Top Bottom