Recent content by dfiler

1. D

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

With a calibrated mic and software, you can see exactly where your sound is lacking and fix it. It's almost always room effect based. Good sound takes some time and experimenting.
  2. D

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Worst: - Monster cables back in the day. I was ignorant. - A 200 CD carousel player. It didn't have the ability to plug in a keyboard. One day it decided to erase all the metadata that I had entered with the remote control. I stopped using it rather than reentering all the info. - My last two...
  3. D

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

It's a multi-hour podcast format, so yeah, not scripted and a longer format discussion. The discussion is about their experience with this topic, not a commentary on Tekton in particular.
  4. D

AV Rant podcast devotes the last 20 minutes of their most recent episode to the Tektron threats. I'll continue to post links here of the audio community's response. Please do the same if you come across more discussion. That seems like a good way of making the history easily accessible for...
  5. D

Marques Brownlee just posted a video titled "Do Bad Reviews Kill Companies?" This was after he gave the Human AI Pin a bad review, "The Worst Product I've Ever Reviewed... For Now". With 18.6 million subscribers, that's significant. I'm guessing his channel's income and staffing makes threats...
  6. D

I edited my previous post to be less critical since details are scarce. Erin's follow-up will be quite telling. Though this edit was done before I knew there were previous threats of litigation (or maybe even litigation) against other reviewers. Don't worry, I'm busy sharpening my pitchfork...
  7. D

It is fascinating to see how different companies react to flaws pointed out in reviews. If nothing else, it shows me who I want to do business with and who I don't. [Edit: Removed my criticism until more info is confirmed] It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will going on the...
  8. D

End-game enough?

Thanks for the update. I just got R11 and am going through the tuning process. End game? It's always fun to "upgrade". But at this point I think room acoustics outweigh any further improvement in gear. I will still want the shiny new thing. Though, realistically I should focus on EQ, speaker...
  9. D

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Certainly! First though, Dirac has to release ART for Denon AVRs. Last I heard, beta testing is done and perhaps we’re just waiting on Masimo to release it. Interestingly, if ART can help tame nulls with full size bed layer speakers, that will significantly change the benefit of larger towers...
  10. D

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Regarding the need for full towers like the R11 when you have subwoofer(s)... With Dirac ART, this dilemma changes once again. I am going to move my R3 to surround duty and buy R11 for the front. With my home theater being almost a perfect cube, this will likely improve some of the nulls which...
  11. D

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Peng, I nominate you for a Nobel prize in knowledge sharing. I now understand that you are doing a more complicated and accurate analysis. Less rigorous discussion, as found most other places online, focuses on calculating watts. Typically, that means figuring out the number of watts needed for...
  12. D

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Ah good, that's as I thought but wanted to confirm since I'm still part way through the learning curve. Thank you for sharing your knowledge so thoroughly! I'll have to read your post another 10 times to commit these concepts to memory. I trimmed the quoted post a bit to highlight a couple...
  13. D

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

I've been following your informative posts in this thread for almost two years. I had to do considerable reading just to gain enough knowledge to have a productive discussion. Thank you! I am researching which class-D amp to buy. Part of the goal is increased/clean power when driving all...
Top Bottom