Recent content by dewdude

1. D

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

I dropped the DAC off with a friend who has the microscope to do SMD stuff. He said it look like a small transistor on the board decided to go and it took out two resistors and possibly the XMOS chip; but he doesn't know anything about audio gear so he couldn't say for sure. I think it was a...
  2. D

It's clearly not the fuse since the unit powers up. The USB is dead. Several Linux machines reported nothing when it's plugged in. It shows "unlock", but AFAIK that just means the XMOS has no sync. If I dont see any presence of it on the USB bus, something is hosed. The port it was hooked up to...
  3. D

Came home today to find my SU-8 had died. It's not being detected by any PC I plug it in to. It's out of warranty and I'm very very angry about this. On one hand I want to buy another; on the other I've read of this problem and I'm not sure if I trust SMSL at this point. I didn't even get a...
  4. D

So I've had this thing for a couple of months now. I thought I'd share an update. I still love it. I haven't found any "new" issues other than what I posted about in November. With my software setup; Win 10 -> Foobar2k -> ASIO DSD Transcoder -> Native DSD; it just works. The only thing I might...
  5. D

So before I responded further...I ran a bunch of various tests, some of them not "real world" just to make sure it's not some kind of odd configuration of mine causing things. There does not appear to be a "fade-in" since tracks that have audio that starts immediately doesn't have anything...
  6. D

I want to make a minor update to this DSD clicking. Yes...apparently this SU-8 is emitting a very faint "pop" in the right channel just as music starts. It took me a while to realize it was happening every time. It's probably enhanced by the fact I use something to delay DSD audio to give the...
  7. D

I mean..in theory yes. If you lower the volume you're lowering the demands on the amps in the DAC. They're basically just running out of juice and clipping. People think clipping happens when you "overdrive" something; but clipping is literally just hitting the limits of the circuit...whether by...
  8. D

If you're splitting the signal you could be demanding too much from the outputs on the dac and causing them to clip.
  9. D

So while I'm going to say no; I do think I recall a few times rapidly switching tracks that I heard an almost barely audible "click"; but I can't stress how barely audible it was and how fast I was changing tracks. Do I get something that sounds like it might pop a tweeter? No. Never. There...
  10. D

My SU-8 arrived Wednesday night; I've put about 8 hours on it thus far and about 2/3 of that has been DSD64 content (1 DSD128 album rip and a DSD512 upconversion just to see if it would actually do it). I haven't had any issues or odd noises out of DSD on mine. I haven't seen what Billie Jean...
Top Bottom