Recent content by debunker

1. D

NHT C3 Speaker Review (Sample #2)

Thanks for performing the do-over, it's reassuring that the dent has minimal effect on frequency response. Is it possible to generate the distortion profile without doing further Klippel measurements? The poor performance of the original at 96dB is striking (and seemingly at odds with the NRC...
  2. D

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 Review (headphone amp)

sssn: I had the same thought at first about a beefier power supply, but it would only be helpful for low impedance headphones. The 600 Ohm load shows it hard clipping at about 5 Volts, so that's a strict limit regardless of the current. With 125 mA on tap for each channel, you can in theory go...
  3. D

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Uh... no. Same SINAD as the Atom, 110 dB: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/loxjie-d10-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-audio-measurements-png.31956/ To reiterate, in absolute specs, the Atom wins in its price range. We both agree that the ESS hump is a bit overblown...
  4. D

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

If I was feeling generous I'd call this a mischaracterization. At worst, flat out untrue. The SK mk2 has better SINAD performance, but falls way short on the 32-tone test vs the Atom. The E30 has modestly better SINAD and 32-tone vs Atom and are basically neck and neck for other measurements...
  5. D

Naim sound

1. It is correct that Naim 100 specifies -3 dB at 69 kHz (nice). It is NOT correct that the -3 dB cutoff for the nc400 is "around 50 kHz". If you look at the graph in amir's review, it's almost exactly 60 kHz. 2. Without seeing the actual frequency response of the Naim, it's impossible to know...
  6. D

Schiit Magni 3+ Headphone Amp Teardown

Thanks, and this makes sense. @amirm, you may want to edit your comment regarding the op amps in your original post; it is inaccurate and not entirely fair to Schiit to state, "Input signal then goes into a couple of integrated op amps (OPA1678) so all is not discrete here." The signal path is...
  7. D

Schiit Magni 3+ Headphone Amp Teardown

Perhaps Tyler Noble can clarify what the OPA1678s are doing in the circuit--are they in the signal path 100% of the time, or only for the line out but not headphone? Or is it being used as a DC Servo or some other not-in-the path application?
  8. D

Geshelli new headphone amps were released.

The 2.5 looks phenomenal. I don't think there's anything else out there that can come even close to this level of price-performance ratio with balanced inputs. Congrats to the Geshelli team. This is definitely going on my medium-term "to buy" list for a monitoring solution on my location...
  9. D

Ciúnas DAC USB DAC Review

I have no skin in this game. But I have a physics degree (so not an EE. But I took a sweet electronics lab that has served me well over the years), and I've done a crap ton of DIY soldering projects over the years. Some of the soldering jobs I'm not that proud of. Once I pooched the traces of a...
  10. D

A few quick Measurements of an Harman Kardon HK 3270RDS Stereo Receiver

Thanks for this LTig. I have an HK3375 which is a newer version but I expect performance is similar; the main difference is that the 3375 is rated at 75 Watts for 8 Ohms (with a marginally better .07% THD rating) and has a slightly updated faceplate. I bought it to replace a Sony GX-315 from the...
  11. D

Review and Measurements of Violectric HPA V281 HP Amp

Valley People? Being down 2dB at 20 Hz is kind of... terrible. I get their rationale for for not wanting to DC couple, but at least use a sufficiently high value for the input caps. We're talking about a $2500 device here. Also, I would bet money that this puts phase shift into the audible...
  12. D

Geshelli Archel Pro v/s JDS Atom v/s .....

I have the same hunch. Also, it's interesting to hear people use descriptors like "punchy", "exciting" and "meaty". When I read that I think, "distortion". The stated THD on the Geshelli site is 0.01%. That is more than an order of magnitude higher than the Atom and means that distortion is 80...
  13. D

Step Up Transformers? Pros / Cons?

That much for a SUT seems a bit insane. I have no experience with transformers in the phono path, but I do have a lot of experience with Jensen transformers in other applications and they are exceptionally well built and about as clean and transparent as you can get. So if you go the SUT route...
  14. D

4 new Schiit preamps

These numbers look good, but looking over the AP test report, I have to ask: What effect--if any--does using a lower input voltage have on the performance? It's my understanding that amir puts 2V into the amp and adjusts it for unity gain to get approximately 2V out for his SINAD/THD+N numbers...
  15. D

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Hi everyone, first time poster, some-time lurker. I own a DAC+ Pro, and while I'm curious to see a full review with measurements of it as well, I'm honestly not sure it's worth it because frankly, it's based on outdated technology. It's fundamentally limited by the use of the PCM5122 chip which...
Top Bottom