Recent content by dduck

1. dduck

Syng Cell Alpha - 7.1 sound with three speakers ?

Wow, well... I decided to sit this out until spatial audio standards settle down, and got a somewhat conventional Bluesound PowerNode and KEF LS50 Meta setup. Would have loved something more futuristic, but at least it's pretty minimalist and just works. Will keep an eye on the contenders but...
  2. dduck

Yeah, they did get a funding round, but that's basically it for news items except a few listening parties in LA... Considering how high profile pre-reviews they DID get - Newsweek and Wallpaper is pretty big - it's kinda odd they dropped off the radar once the product was actually out.
  3. dduck

Hmm, wow, so THAT came and went. There's absolutely NOTHING happening regarding Syng Alpha online. Not here, not Facebook, nowhere that can be googled. I wonder what's up with that?
  4. dduck

These new ones from Sony look interesting as well: https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/tv-video-home-theater-sound-bars/soundbars/p/hta9 This is less in the design/audiophile category and more in the spatial/unobtusive category
  5. dduck

My source was always Apple Music, mostly from Apple TV, in a few cases from my iPhone to eliminate the ATV as a source of the issue, and two times using USB from my Mac (again for debugging purposes). I don't think it was an EQ problem that affected me. I think it was a bug in the room...
  6. dduck

Sorry, I already returned them. I hope you will get a good opportunity soon.
  7. dduck

Whelp, I'm out Given that I have shared my initial opinions, it would be pretty unfair not to share this current state of affairs. TL;DR - my issues may get resolved shortly, but my circumstances don't allow me to wait around for that. I may give it a go again the future.
  8. dduck

So I have a theory that might explain the issues I experience and the discrepancy between Linus' and Joe's experiences. I mentioned that I experienced some tracks as very dark. I got rid of the worst by moving them, and at that point most recordings sounded good. But some still persisted in...
  9. dduck

Well. It's what I've got :) One of the reasons I was so interested in the Alphas is the room correction for flexible placement. I know I am challenging it a lot here, and I'm not expecting miracles. EDIT: Move is "a ways out", probably a year or so the way things look right now, so I'll just...
  10. dduck

Well, it's not TOO bad once The Corner Of ****** Bass has been tamed through positioning and damping. That being said, there's a lot of stuff not on the drawing to the right. Sort of your big open-plan kitchen/living room thing. Thing will be better once I move back to Denmark and set up in our...
  11. dduck

All right, placement resolved, corner treatment in place and recalibrated. Basically remove the list of Muse tracks with a bad result, and that's my new review. It's still a warm speaker, but much less asymmetric than my first impression led me to believe. I'm gonna settle in with them for a...
  12. dduck

Heh... Placement issue, corner reflection. Moving the offending unit a foot or so resolved it. Ordered some corner treatment blocks just in case I need more tweaking for it.
  13. dduck

I know. But I don't have the equipment to do that. EDIT: Best I can do is to break out the headphones and give the same tracks a listen, but that's a subjective and derived measure of just one of the three components., and won't tell us anything about the room or the speakers.
  14. dduck

So in my 2nd. impressions I mentioned that some recordings acquired an unpleasant thump, whereas other tracks that I consider dark had no perticular change in their profile. I am starting to suspect either a placement problem or a tuning/software mistake. I decided to check how they sounded...
  15. dduck

Not an expert, but I think that would require an object based format. Essentially one channel per item you would want to be able to move around, and then doing the equivalent of real time ray tracing on those. If the format doesn't isolate the individual sources, you'd have to rely on...
Top Bottom