Recent content by davidr3032

1. D

hypex power ratings

Its been a while now and after a lot of discussion, unfortunately I don't really think I've gotten an answer to my question. I'm still unsure of what the power ratings of these hypex amps are. What drew me to this forum was I wanted to avoid a lot of the audiophile mumbo jumbo you get elsewhere...
  2. D

hypex power ratings

Yes though I'm sure there's many a AB amplifier that doesn't test too well by the FTC standard. Whose specs could greatly benefit from a different system of measurement
  3. D

hypex power ratings

OK. I guess you should contact him and tell him whats watt
  4. D

hypex power ratings

I understand that. The graphs have a very steep rise at the end. So slight variations on distortion levels will make a big difference to output power. However if we don't listen to Amir then where are we
  5. D

hypex power ratings

After some research on linear power supplies I can accept that the ATI hypex amplifiers that use them would result in their amps being less powerful than other nc500 based amps. This makes sense to me. So it would seem that although the nord nc500dm I was asking about is less powerful than the...
  6. D

hypex power ratings

Yes well exactly. Therefore the correct power rating is not 700w into 4ohm. Thats one thing we can say for sure. And its wrong for manufacturers to quote it as so. If it is 445w then surely manufacturers who quote 700w are misleading people. By a significant amount But Amir isn't specifically...
  7. D

hypex power ratings

I love Amirs testing reports and its great to have such a talented knowledgeable independent reviewer to check things against the manufacturers specs. However he was not testing the Nord nc500 amp to find its power rating here. Nor does he speculate what the power rating is. It would be...
  8. D

hypex power ratings

Its not just the requirement of the FTC its also the requirement of the end of the sentence "the power rating of the amp is 330w 20hz-20khz" So you think ATI are using power supplies that are reducing the amps potential power rating by a huge amount? Thats quite a controversial conclusion
  9. D

hypex power ratings

Because a power rating of an amp 20hz-20khz should include the frequency of 20khz
  10. D

hypex power ratings

Yeah quite a difference from your specs. 200w compared to 330w. Are you suggesting that ATI have made a catastrophic mistake with their design?
  11. D

hypex power ratings

OK thanks thats very interesting. As most amplifiers can't operate full power at 20kHz. Usually there's a drop of power at such high frequencies. Why do you think ATI have rated it 200w 20hz-20khz while you rate it at 330w?
  12. D

hypex power ratings

Thanks Restorer John. You were mentioned earlier in this thread and I was hoping you would chime in at some point. What you say makes a lot of sense and over the past few days I have come to the same conclusions. Though I'm sure you have a lot more knowledge on this than I do. I only starting...
  13. D

hypex power ratings

OK so my use of language isn't great there. What I should have said was - These graphs seem to show the power rating for the module driven at some specific frequencies, but do not include all frequencies from 20hz - 20kHz Presumably if it puts out say 330w at 1kHz, it won't be able to do that...
  14. D

hypex power ratings

Wow thanks. That may be the answer im looking for! So their hypex nc500 amp is called the AT52xNC and its rated at 200w So thats 200w maximum average power ( 20hz-20kHz ) 0.03% thd+N So hypex nc500 based amps don't really have a power rating of 400w but its actually half that Have i...
Top Bottom