Recent content by Daverz

1. D

Buchardt S400 Speaker Review

For $750 you could get a miniDSP 2x4 and two more channels of amplification to replace the internal crossover with an external digital one. I assume that would void the warranty, though, and you'd also have to add more speaker terminals for the second channel. Disclaimer: I've never done this...
  2. D

Manually time-aligning subwoofer(s) to mains - how to

This is even more obscure to me than the OP. Excess group delay of which measurement (sub or main or both?) I don't understand the comment about Dirac impulses. Actually play them through the speakers?
  3. D

I should have moved a leather chair and a coffee table out of the way. It turns out a lot of the delay is due to the latency of the subwoofer: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/svs-subwoofers.17378/#post-563096
  4. D

Here are the mdat files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ktfSEJax__ib-ySQOL1_NfZ8-r5QdJSO/view?usp=sharing
  5. D

Yeah, several milliseconds of latency does seem odd from a DAC. Which lowpass filters do you mean? These measurements are made with the XO bypassed in the nanoDIGI and LFE setting used on the sub (no lowpass). If I use Estimate IR Delay on each impulse response, I get a difference between the...
  6. D

Tried the measurement procedure in the OP, and it shows that the needed delay is just a bit larger than the 9 ms maximum my nanoDIGI allows. The sub (measured to the driver dustcap) is only about 1 meter further away from the listening position, so the remaining difference must be due to...
  7. D

I created some test files with alternating unfiltered and filtered audio every 10 seconds. I can't hear any change in tone or other qualities when going from one 10 second segment to the next. EDIT: perhaps the filtered sound is a bit more articulate (because of the HPQ?). It's very subtle...
  8. D

Strategies for 100-500 Hz

Speakers in the wall. Or very close to the front wall with enough treatment of the front wall. My room is too oddly shaped to make either work. Instead I bring the speakers and the listening chair out into the middle of the room. Yeah, I live alone.
  9. D

Yes, I thought of that, but wanted to have some clarification. For a single listener the wider sweet spot it's not that compelling, IME. I was afraid someone might ask that. :rolleyes: I'll have to do a bit of A/B testing and get back to you on that. I use REW to generate an impulse...
  10. D

Thanks for these EQ files. I've been using the "preference optimized" EQ for a while, and it sounds very good to me. Why crossing in front? Isn't the spin symmetric about the axis? I just measured mine, and they are about 12 degrees toed-out from on-axis.
  11. D

Topping E30 DAC Review

I just tried it with an E30 and a D3Pro, and it does work! Too bad the E30 has gone up to $150. Still, I can't think of another cost effective DAC with volume control, remote, and a nice bright volume display that can be read from several meters away. However, I don't think you should worry...
  12. D

Topping E30 DAC Review

I get the DSD popping on my Auralic Vega (ESS chip) and the E30. I even get the popping with PCM files converted from DSF files. It's a DSD issue, not a DAC specific issue.
  13. D

Question - MiniDSP SHD & dual subwoofers

On page 49 of the SHD manual they show a dual subwoofer setup: https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD%20Series%20User%20Manual.pdf
  14. D

So if you look up SVS's recommendations for crossover settings for the S400, they recommend 80 Hz and 24 dB/octave for the subwoofer (standard) and 50 Hz for the Buchardts. I wonder what the idea behind the overlapping frequency ranges is. Are the values just based on the specs, or do they...
  15. D

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

I'm not sure what you're saying here. There are two stereo digital outputs that can operate at the same time. EDIT: this is the routing diagram for all the SHD devices:
Top Bottom