Recent content by dananski

1. D

Sabaj D4 Review (DAC & Amp)

I think it says more about consumers. Wealth disparity drives many purchases that we see as utterly ridiculous. Brand and marketing direct those purchases, along with what 'experts' have influence on you. Perhaps the vendors should be held accountable somehow, but I think I'm personally okay...
  2. D

Shanling UA2 was the next. Obviously any good new DAC like those from Topping or SMSL will have measurements that smash anything as old as DAVE. The tongue in cheek occurred to me but I figured it must have been based on some mistake either way.
  3. D

"Finally"? The DAVE review here was followed by one for a DAC that measured worse. DAVE's in the top tier; on par with a Khadas Tone Board SINAD-wise, which was very high ranking a couple years ago. There's still going to be a lot that comes out measuring worse, just (hopefully) not anything...
  4. D

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Looks like another win for Topping! For anyone thinking "I wish I could use this in a home theatre setup", perhaps the Nvidia Shield TV Pro is worth a look. It should be possible to have USB audio output to the DM7. How many channels it supports this way I don't know, but you'd hope it's...
  5. D

E50 preout

Well that's one way to demonstrate the decibel scale! If you're still wondering about this, I'm not sure what issue is implied. "A bit loud" doesn't seem like it could damage your speakers, but if you're worried, check the speakers' maximum power rating is less than the amp's maximum single...
  6. D

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Excellent, thanks for those links. I did take a look many months back but probably not thoroughly enough. And my search back then was more for open source code as I thought performance can be an issue for real-time and I wanted to see why. I'll be sure to give these a try. Generally this is my...
  7. D

I hope this isn't a jab at me, though I do realise that I first posted 32 pages deep into the comments on a review that must have a lot of much-invested loyalists up in arms, so it's likely there's been a lot of unwarranted criticism of every little detail in the review, and I'm sorry if I'm...
  8. D

It's admittedly less apparent nonsense than 768KHz being audible, and the M-Scaler does give the signal a steep filter. I just don't know how that could even theoretically carry through DA -> AD -> file at 44.1KHz (Nyquist frequency below the filter frequency of 24KHz) -> re-rendering on another...
  9. D

Ah that's a shame. Hah my high hearing is lopsided and not even great in the better ear, so definitely not. And I doubt anyone could. I'm just interested on an experimental level. I wanted to have an empirical disproval, verifiable by anyone, of the claims, made by Chord and so many listeners...
  10. D

I've been wondering for a while why upscaling with lots of taps is something you can't just do in software, either in real time, or output as a higher bitrate file. It's an operation entirely in the binary domain! You can play the 768KHz/32-bit output to an excellent DAC over USB for under...
  11. D

Why sometimes listening to speaker demo better than the music itself

Oh it's certainly a useless way to show how well a system performs. Unless it perfectly recreates the original source material as confirmed with a null test, which would be extraordinarily impressive and probably tempt me to buy the equipment involved, starting with the microphone, then the...
  12. D

Solupeak RC-11 Review (Passive Volume Control)

Not sure if you do follow me correctly, because I can't follow you at all! It costs $17 and can comfortably go to -10dB without audible crosstalk, frequency response colouration, noise or distortion. The Schiit Sys preamp costs about three times as much for similar if not slightly worse...
  13. D

Why sometimes listening to speaker demo better than the music itself

Agree with the above. Bass and treble are blown out of proportion by the various stages the audio has gone through, and there's a ton of room reverb. It's also much louder, which always biases listeners. I can see the potential appeal when you hear that kind of tone. I'm listening without EQ at...
  14. D

Solupeak RC-11 Review (Passive Volume Control)

Looks quite decent for the money, but how can you tell if it'll be any better than the pre in your integrated amp or DAC?
  15. D

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Yeah there are a few reviewed ones here, the best being the LG G7. I looked into getting a second hand one to use as a Roon streamer when I saw it would equal or outperform any DAC I have. But it's not quite up to Mojo 2's standards. I'd like to see more phones and tablets reviewed here.
Top Bottom