Recent content by ClosDeLaRoche

1. C

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Integrated DAC&Amp)

Yes, my CXA61 inverts polarity with digital inputs and does not with analog inputs. I do not use the analog inputs so I swapped the + and - wiring on my speakers and flipped the phase switch on my sub to solve the issue. if you plan on using analog and digital inputs then I do not know of a...
  2. C

Ugh annoying. Yes you're right, inverted polarity isn't a big deal if all of the speakers are in phase, it's when some are in correct polarity and some are not that you run into problems.
  3. C

I don't think I clearly explained what I meant. Run this youtube video through a CXA61/CXA81's DAC: If the speakers are wired as they should be, so "+" on the amp to "+" on the speakers and "-" on the amp to "-" on the speakers, your speaker cone will pull inwards on the "+" and push outwards...
  4. C

One last thing about the CXA61/CXA81 that hasn't been mentioned: the DAC inverts polarity. Personally I've got my sub's phase set to 180 and the wiring on my speakers swapped to fix this. I've got my fingers crossed that Cambridge releases a firmware update to address the quirk.
  5. C

Well the CXA81 has a bigger transformer (which is why it's slightly more powerful), different DAC chip, and swaps the CXA61's front 1/8" input for an XLR input in the back. Other than these three differences they look like the same product. Yeah, an audio recorder with line inputs. I have a...
  6. C

One great feature about these amps that no one has mentioned yet is that they have a setting for high-jitter sources like TVs. If anyone has hooked up an ESS dac to a TV and experienced drop-outs they know what I mean. The CXA61/CXA81 originally shipped without this feature and plenty of users...
  7. C

Do you have a line-in digital recorder? If you do, there is a way to check for distortion on the DAC and pre-amp. I tried it with my CXA61 and it seemed to be distortion free up until 12 o'clock. at 1:30 I got some distortion down around -90ish db, and at full volume the distortion was terrible...
  8. C

Hell I normally listen at like 9 or 9:30 on KEF LS50's. This is about 75 db listening volume with a powered subwoofer in the system. We do have a fairly small living room & I expect I'm getting good room-gain. When my wife is away and I want to blast music, 12 o'clock would be the very loudest...
  9. C

I tried an experiment tonight. I hooked up my JDS Atom DAC to my Tascam DR40 and recorded a 1khz signal with the Tascam's gain at 0. I dropped the audio file in Audacity and amplified it to 0 db peak (about 19 db amplification). I dropped the file in Spek, I'll post the graph here. Some noise...
  10. C

Sennheiser 800 HD still the best neutral openback for $1000 used?

I decided on the MrSpeakers Ether Flow 1.1 as my end-game headphone. I gotta have that ultra-low distortion bass. They are reasonably flat, I only need to tweak a couple db here-and-there to get the sound I like. I picked up a used pair for $660 although I got lucky with that price. They are...
  11. C

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Some TVs have issues with ESS chips & keeping a lock on the signal. My last Samsung and current LG both have problems with most ESS DACs.
  12. C

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

If this is an ESS DAC, does it have adjustable PLL settings? If not is the stock setting forgiving enough for high jitter sources?
  13. C

new DAC for my CXA81

Huh, weird! sounds like yours works fine then. My CXA61 plays with reversed polarity.
  14. C

new DAC for my CXA81

Do you have the Cxn V2? If you can use this YouTube video to determine if this is the case play that and touch your speaker cone as it plays. the cone should push out on "+" and pull in on "-" Btw Cambridge has informed me that they will put out a firmware fix for this soon. I'd email them...
  15. C

ZERO AUDIO Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT Review (IEM)

Sweeeet IEM reviews I'd love to see Etymotic ER2XR, ER4XR and ER4SR on here
Top Bottom