Recent content by Cifer

1. C

Any downside to using balanced-to-unbalanced adapters instead of buying a device with a balanced input?

Thank you. I guess going with a balanced amp will be the better solution. However, there's one more thing I'm cuoous about: Is using a balanced DAC output and amp input generally better? The other thing I could do is simply get a Motu interface which supports unbalanced line output and connect...
  2. C

Any downside to using balanced-to-unbalanced adapters instead of buying a device with a balanced input?

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out which of these methods is the objectively best for a Scarlett and a Topping L30 II: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/03/how-to-connect-a-headphone-amplifier-to-an-audio-interface/ I've heard people me tion that the last solution mentioned - which uses the term...
  3. C

Thank you. In my case I wouldn't need an adapter though, correct? I'm still unsure if I should connect the external amplifier to the headphone jack of the Scarlett or the line out in the back. I've heard conflicting reports about what works better, but to me it would make sense that the line...
  4. C

Thank you. I'm confused about which way of connecting the two devices is actually better. I've seen other threads where people said to avoid double amplification, while others said double amping is fine. Especially since the amp of the Scarlett isn't very good, I thought I should avoid using...
  5. C

Hello everyone, I would like to buy an external amp for a Scarlett Solo audio interface. I would prefer the Topping L30 II for various reasons, but it has an unbalanced input as far as I know. Would there be any noticeable decline in sound quality, or a risk of damage to the gear - if I simply...
  6. C

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Oh right, was half asleep and posted random measurements. The Scarlett Solo has "<1 Ohm", so not sure if it has more or less than the Topping. Either way I don't feel like a difference of less than 1 Ohm in output impedance can explain why the Topping hurts my ears so much. I would really...
  7. C

It's the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd generation, which has an output impedance of less than 12 Ohms while the Topping has 22 Ohms unless I'm wrong. Nothing is fattened or muffled, it's more that everything sounds right while the DX1 makes everything sound off. With the Focusrite the instruments...
  8. C

I have some issues with this device: Recently I bought the Topping DX1 for listening to audio as well as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for digital Piano playing. I expected that the DX1 would sound noticeably better especially because of the amp, and it does feel like it's a bit more detailed. But...
  9. C

Would I benefit from an audio interface?

Thanks. I'll measure the latency again with proper settings then. I think it will be around 30 ms. I know the vast majority comes from the MIDI travel and the software, but I suspect that the Topping is adding an excess amount despite displaying relatively low numbers, because everything...
  10. C

I knew of this method but thought it would be inaccurate. How exactly do I measure the difference? I don't know where to start and end because I have no idea where exactly the transient of the piano sound is starts. Does this just mean the part around 2.590 where the line starts getting less...
  11. C

I've seen this before, but my problem is that I don't know how the Topping compares. This data is about roundtrip latency between a DAW and an audio interface, and I don't have either. I'm really just clueless as to whether the Topping delays things much more, or just by 3 milliseconds or so.
  12. C

Most of the delay does indeed come from the computer itself. However, that is a different issue. I want to make sure that the DAC I use has as little latency as reasonably possible. I'm not worried about nanoseconds, but I'm new to this entire matter and have no idea if the latency resulting...
  13. C

Thank you. So essentially the Topping already has a latency comparably low to a decent interface, is that correct? I would mostly like a solution for laptops, so PCI-E cards are not an option. For USB 4 I would need a USB-A-to-USB-4 adapter (if that exists), and if I understand correctly the...
  14. C

It definitely affects my enjoyment. I notice very clear differences between every single setting. It has been shown that lowering the latency in Pianoteq by 1 ms doesn't only decrease the overall latency by 1 ms but by more than that. I've even had someone help me blind test by changing the...
  15. C

Upgrading a pair of Kali LP-6 or LP-8 to 5.1 surround?

This is probably something I should know, but is music during a movie not played through all three of the front speakers? Where does it usually come from? I presume it depends on the way it was recorded, but in my understanding it would mostly be all three front speakers and not just L and R?
Top Bottom