Recent content by ChuckT

1. C

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Of cause, this is subjective after all. I also like to point out I like listening to distortion, specifically tube distortion, which is why I use a tube amp (with tons of tweak of cause). I also have a APPJ PA1502A tube headphone amp coming. So we'll see how that sounds using my dx7 pro out.
  2. C

Just like film caps, not all COG/NPO are created different. For digital, ceramic is great, but for analog audio, I like big aluminum caps better. I might just solder the cap legs on the smd pads. Anyways, I am not tech savory but I tweak a lot of my gear and some I don't hear a difference and...
  3. C

And one wonders why there are such a vast array of capacitor out there when all sounded the same?? Right. From the mouth of Nelson Pass commenting on Cyril Bateman article of capacitor distortion "This is pretty much to be expected. Ceramic and Tantalum caps have no business in the signal...
  4. C

Here is the signal path after the dac output if anyone is interested. es9038 ==> Opamp I/V (marking sanded off) using 49.9R i/V resistor ==> Opamp LME49720 buffer (to RCA/XLR output) ==> Opamp LME49720 (another buffer?) ==> Opamp AD8397 ==> transistor circuit (marking Y1/L43) ==>...
  5. C

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

It should support at least 192k, which is the max for the spdif input anyways.
  6. C

Probably a ground loop. There is only a 75ohm resistor and cap at input to ak4418. Use a digital transformer Murata DA101C at the spdif input if you have a ground loop problem.
  7. C

Was the test done while knocking on the ceramic caps? If not, then I think the test is valid as piezoelectric effect clearly exist.
  8. C

Those dc-dc parts also has 2w and 3w version. I have a similar Chinese parts A1212s inside a Little Bear B4-X tube-opamp headphone convert battery 12v to +/- 12v. It uses 2 of those powering a 5899 tube and opamp for left right channel and it sound pretty good (the heater was power by 12v...
  9. C

If all the caps are tested in exactly the same way and shows a difference. Don't you think there is really a difference between the caps?
  10. C

The dc-dc module is actually smaller than the space for the 2 tps dc switcher. This is a higher quality one from Murata in mouser. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Power-Solutions/NMA1515SC?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvGsmoEFRKS8Kn8hpQIdAem%2F1LMX04mJrk= I have seem a dip to smd socket with cog...
  11. C

Thanks for the detail description. There are smd to dip socket. You can replace the smd opamp with the socket and play with swaping dip opamps. You can also get DC-DC isolated converter similar to below to have the input 15V converted into +/-15V instead of the existing +/-10V using the...
  12. C

Thanks for the excellent report of the tweak. Using only 2 of the dac output sans output capacitor is an excellent idea. So you have to replace all of the existing parts around the opamp for the new filter values? Also, my understanding is its a good idea to keep high frequency out of opamp...
  13. C

I doubt that those AVX tan cap are solid polymer as sold polymer tan are much more expensive than the normal tan and unlikely to be use in such a low cost dac. Another hint is the yellow tan mark is 107A meaning 100uf 10v. If polymer tan, only 6.3V is required instead of twice the voltage rating...
  14. C

Nice work. I was surprise you did not replace the cap for the power supply of the analog output . The caps next to the 2 opamp and the caps at the output of the 2 switching ic output for the +/- 10V. I don't really like ceramic smd caps for decoupling the opamps.
  15. C

During my modding of the DX3 board, one earphone channel went dead (could be me as I replaced the headphone opamp capacitor), however, the usb also become non functional. However, bluetooth and dac output is perfectly functional and I am getting very good sound from it. In fact, I took the...
Top Bottom