Recent content by ChrisMag2099

1. ChrisMag2099

Why is my turntable's frequency response now dropping off?

Yes. Dampers aren't linear in their behavior. It's entirely possible for temp to change their damping characteristic.
  2. ChrisMag2099

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

See page 4 and 5 for an explanation.
  3. ChrisMag2099

Why is my turntable's frequency response now dropping off?

Since it's exclusive to high frequencies, my first guess would be that you're observing a change in the damper's response. Could be temperature related, either room temp or could be that you recorded the first time after playing several records and the damper had been heated up to a small...
  4. ChrisMag2099

If I recall, the overload margin is higher on the Skoll. Also, it has more gain for MC cartridges. If you're running something with 0.2-.35mv at 5cm/sec, you'd probably want more the option of > 60db. Finally, the ability to change settings on-the-fly from your listening position via a remote...
  5. ChrisMag2099

You're probably right about it being AM radio. I think I could hear the Lars Larson show (ugh!) when it occurred. RF demodulation is bad enough... but to get conservative talk radio makes it worse :facepalm:
  6. ChrisMag2099

Sorry for my late comment, but I'll add my thoughts. I own several phono amps, including a PS Audio Nuwave, ART Phono Phono Plus USB, A Skoll and a Mola Mola Lupe. The Skoll is definitely sensitive to cable routing. In my environment, it's also very sensitive to cable shielding, at least on the...
  7. ChrisMag2099

WiiM Pro Streamer

Testing this as I write. Source is a Pro-Ject X8 w/ a Hana SH high output moving coil into a Modwright PH9.0, then line into the WiiM Pro and line out direct to a Parasound JC5 power amp which powers Focal Scala Evos. The preamp I removed is an Audio Research LS28SE. Compared to having an...
  8. ChrisMag2099

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

"Notice how the gain controls have their own distortion characteristics, performing worse when lower gain than higher(!). This is some odd behavior. " I asked John Curl about this on a Zoom call tonight. The gain controls on the front of the JC2 don't increase gain. They are a trim. His...
Top Bottom