Recent content by Chr1

1. Chr1

World's larges engine

Great idea. 88l= torquetastic. Put one in a motorcycle!
  2. Chr1

Comparing amplifier THD+N in active speaker

I think that the same goes for class A/B amps in active speakers. I bought Neumann KH310s knowing the amps were class A/B but more importantly, that Neumann will have selected them for not only sound quality but also reliability. I decided that since the KH310s had been around for 20 years, the...
  3. Chr1

Electronica/dance/techno/et cetera.

Retro with good bass
  4. Chr1

Brownswood Bubblers 13.
  5. Chr1

$100k speakers Meridian DSP8000 to $

Sorry dude. Didn't catch the context there. Ignore my post... But yes, I reckon Neumann can compare with pretty much any speaker manufacturer there is. Can anyone post measurements of the Meridians please? They are very expensive, so best be objectively good as well as handsome.
  6. Chr1

$100k speakers Meridian DSP8000 to $

They are an expensive option. Not sure if they are any better than new Neumann KH420s which are cheaper. Plus there's always a risk if they are second hand. YMMV.
  7. Chr1

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

So is it the case that decent cheap amp design is now pretty much a solved problem. Such that it takes some bad design to mess it up? Like DACs. Seems it's definitely now really all about the speakers/room and any additional EQ/DSP/"colouring" you may choose to add then... (This is a good thing.)
  8. Chr1

I don't actually use a preamp as I only play digital files from either my DAC or AVR. Both of which have volume controls. But I am curious as to the state of play with current preamps. What is the best bang for buck these days? Presumably it's mainly about the quality of phono sections for vinyl...
  9. Chr1

Indeed, but perhaps we're best limiting the discussion to analogue. Any DSP, or anything digital shouldn't be affecting the sound adversely surely...
  10. Chr1

Again, it's all about the measurements surely? And what's even audible. No hard and fast rules, or generalisations. Like arguing about optimal cylinders in a motor... To vague a discussion methinks. Horses for courses etc
  11. Chr1

So I understand. And long cable runs are an issue too. I use one between my AVR and KH310s and it is perfect for the job: transparent and easy for minor tweaks in the volume of the L/R channels when using the AVR as my preamp/source.
  12. Chr1

... As in passive preamps presumably? Perhaps it might be easier for us luddites, if those more knowledgeable could explain what should be avoided when designing quality audio electronics. Presumably anything that adversely affects the measurements within the audible bandwidth? Thanks!
  13. Chr1

Apologies. Way off topic now. Certainly not techno but Gilles Peterson, Brownswood Bubblers 8
  14. Chr1

Nice one...Indeed. As a youngster I definitely wrote Gilles Peterson off as boring jazz. Wrong. Jill Scott/Mos Def makes for a v good combo for sure.
Top Bottom