Recent content by cgardnerma

1. C

My original Klipsch Promedia 4.1 died, what should I do with them?

Here you go. There are some known common issues with these (very good in general) amps and subwoofers. There are both repair kits available and a very highly rated amp repair service on eBay. The amp repair person has over 6000 reviews at 100% rating. Very unusual for eBay! I'd start there...
  2. C

Opinions on Yamaha A6A with power amp

I used the tripod and did the multi-angle measurements. I am pretty impressed with YPAO RSC in general. It's the first time I have used room correction and actually liked how it sounds for the most part. So far I like using YPAO low frequency mode the best. I copy it to a manual slot (which...
  3. C

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

Super interesting. The Emotiva and and Tonewinner pre-pros use the Sharc DSP and show this low frequency noise increase in the reviews as well. I think it is safe to say this is a characteristic - and probably an intentional design tradeoff/noise shaping decision - in these chipsets. Which all...
  4. C

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Interesting take on listening to the equipment instead of the music. As a person that has a recording studio, for me, the equipment is explicitly part of the music creation process. There is no electric guitar absent the equipment (often tubes). Different microphones can dramatically effect the...
  5. C

I was not implying that tubes sound better to everyone. I agree that, of course, not all tube amps behave the same way (measurements don't lie). I also accept that tubes can sound horribly wrong (subjective) to some people...including me. Especially in the context of naked acoustic instruments...
  6. C

Tubes sound good because they distort in second order harmonics (in octaves above the fundamental) and they do it in a gradual/musical way that builds naturally with power (compression). It's not a problem. It sounds really good. I like it too for some music...esp vinyl...at reasonable volumes...
  7. C

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

You know what? Both perspectives are OK. It's very welcome that Amir has helped pioneer objective measurements in an industry filled with 1) big companies playing it fast and loose with specs and 2) small companies peddling nonsensical snake oil. It's also OK to like how things sound, even if...
  8. C

Emotiva XPA-5: still "worth it" or better buy a good recent receiver?

If you need more channels, upgrade the receiver, but keep the Emotiva until it dies. There is always a need to take a load off of the receiver. Otherwise sit tight.
  9. C

Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v2 - your listening experience?

I'm a huge Paradigm fan and have had a few pairs. Mostly older monitor series. I had a modified pair of mini mark III that were my main mix speakers in a studio back in the day. I even ended up with a reference series sound bar at some point. Mostly all good.
  10. C

Hah! I always welcome unwanted advice. That's why I am here. :)
  11. C

Interesting. I didn't think about bi-amping. I have always thought it was useless for amps that share the same power supply, since they all sag in unison. But I have never tried it! I will for sure!
  12. C

I actually paid for the app. You're right, it adds a lot. Especially the ability to limit the correction to only a certain frequency range. That's a big deal.
  13. C

Ahh. Got it. Very interesting. Not quite mini DSP, but better than a graphic EQ, and maybe close enough!
  14. C

In 2-channel use, the Yamaha has slightly more power and lower distortion than the Emotiva if I am reading the specs right. That was what drove my question about using the internal Yamaha amps for two channel instead of the Emotiva. That said, for two-channel (my use case), the Yamaha actually...
Top Bottom