Recent content by Cableaddict

1. C

Massdrop 789 vs. Monoprice 887 vs. SMSL SP200: THX amp measurement comparison

Thinking that measured specs tell the whole story is literally hilatious.
  2. C

Actually there are quite few reviews & thread posts online that say this. Also my personal listening tests, using five different fairly expensive phones. - And I'm a professional recording engineer, FWIW. "But hey, the specs show it's flat, so it must sound that way!"
  3. C

Measured spec are nice, but never tell the whole picture. You do realize that amps drive headphones differently than they drive test gear, right? I mean, DUH ....
  4. C

Review and Measurements of Little Labs Monotor Headphone Amp

I hear you, Noob, (thx) but unfortunately I need a cue amp that can handle both, all of the time. I agree that "It’s actually a harder issue than it seems." There is clearly no perfect solution. Hoping to hear from Jonathan on this.
  5. C

Review and Measurements of Little Labs Monotor Headphone Amp

Jonathan, I just found this thread, as I'm on the hunt for the best cue amps for both my studio & for my band's live cue system. I've already spent a small fortune, & not yet totally happy. VERY interested in the Monotor, but I have to admit, Amir's review really troubles me, despite your...
  6. C

Yeah, it would be great. There may also be small gains to be made in the PSU, (like raising the voltage) but that would be hard given the space limitations. It might even be worth trying to bypass the internal psu completely. - But the small gains probably wouldn't be worth the trouble &...
  7. C

You seem to have missed my point. What is actually under the hood? As you said yourself: "Monoprice does an "887" - seems to be "dual 888s"
  8. C

My bad. I meant 887. The Chinese SMSL THX amp is designated "888", whatever that means..
  9. C

Two problems with that. First, it's not just 2dB, and (as posted above) when I reach an imput level that doesn't distort or compress, there isn't enough power to drive my 600 ohm cans properly. Second: I use different cans & buds for different applications, plus that same output level haas to...
  10. C

Thanks, Jim, but that only compares the specs of the 788 and 888, with the 888 clearly being an improvement all around. Nothing at all about the 789 or 889, though at least now I assume that they are, indeed, different chips or circuits. (Yes?)
  11. C

I'm also very curious if anyone has done sonic testing with sp200 vs the other brands of THX. I can't seem to find anything online at all. - And can anyone explain the technical difference between THX 789, 888, and 889 ? Is this just a marketing thing, or are they actually different circuits?
  12. C

Thanks for posting this. I currently have an sp200, a JDS atom, and two versions of the O2. Sonically, (with single-ended output) the sp200 is by far my favorite, having significantly more LF fullness / solidity than the Atom, but the headroom is a nightmare. I'm feeding these from a pro...
  13. C

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Very interesting! (thx) - But I am using XLR inputs, balanced, and with a hospital-grade electrical / grounding scheme. (This is a professional recording studio.) And you would be wrong. This isn't my first rodeo. You don't know who I am, but just believe me I know what I'm doing. Over...
  14. C

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Yes, there is. As I explained in my first post. Maybe their QC is lacking, and some units are worse than others? Maybe I have to try and send mine back?
Top Bottom