Recent content by Breezy

1. Breezy

DTS issue a concern if connecting a CD/DVD player to a stereo receiver via RCA vs Optical?

Thank you! Good to know I can just stick with the analog out then via RCA cables. When the optical cable arrives, I'll test it to compare receiver processing, but I'm really enjoying the sound coming out of this player via RCA cables right now. Nice and full and clear. That receiver is not...
  2. Breezy

DTS issue a concern if connecting a CD/DVD player to a stereo receiver via RCA vs Optical?

I have a Yamaha stereo receiver (R-N303BL) and I'm in the process of attaching a 20-year old (but previously unused) Sony CD/DVD player to it to play audio CDs. (DVP-NS725P). The manual for the Sony CD/DVD player warns about connecting it to receiver via digital cable if playing DTS CDs to...
  3. Breezy

Seeking recommendation for budget turntable stages through speakers (for Fluance RT82)

Edited: My Polk XT20s got canceled =/ That refurb pair turned out to have damage. I ended up spending a bit more on an open box deal on KEF Q150.
  4. Breezy

Seeking recommendation for budget turntable stages through speakers (for Fluance RT82)

UPDATE: Thanks all! I've ordered the manufacturer refurbed pair of Polk XT20s for $180 shipped (after tax). Seemed like my best option for being friendlier to off-axis listening. Ended up getting an open box deal on a Yamaha R-N303BL stereo receiver, which has phono stage built-in. Has a...
  5. Breezy

Sound-wise in a medium room with a bunch of _stuff_ (bookshelves at walls, work desk, lots of stuff piled around)--probably rather haphazard environment in terms of being non-ideal acoustically. Would studio monitor speakers even work for this kind of set up with various angle / position...
  6. Breezy

I meant that my record player does not have a phono preamp built-in, so I'd need a phono preamp then active speakers OR phono preamp + amp/receiver + passive speakers. I was asking for the parts recommendations between the speakers and the turntable for those scenarios. If getting a receiver...
  7. Breezy

I'm confused, ART DJ Pre II is listed a phono preamp. Do I need another preamp on top of this preamp? Should I just go with a basic receiver in this case then, for volume control and some EQ/DSP? Like the Sony. It includes the preamp and seems to simplify a lot.u P.S.: that JBL 306P MKII...
  8. Breezy

P.S.: now I'm realizing that there's no EQ stage for the speakers if I just go with record player -> phono preamp (Art DJPre II) -> powered speakers (JBL 306P). I wonder if that'll be okay for Italian opera records, or if some DSP would be very useful here. I do see there's a bit of an EQ...
  9. Breezy

Thank you all so much, going to parse through these now. Got a full on headache from spending yesterday in full research mode until really late. @JeremyFife Thank you for that list! I'm just a little worried about the receiver smoking out after a few months. It seems to overall have pretty...
  10. Breezy

Correct. The couple of options I listed are phono preamps/include one.
  11. Breezy

I am setting up a relatively easy-to-use budget-friendly record player arrangement for my stepfather, who has shelves of old records. Finally got a Fluance RT82 but debating what to do after that. Seems like my paths diverge to - phono preamp + powered speakers - phono preamp + amp + passive...
  12. Breezy

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

I'd definitely love to get an update for the original review comparing Google Music casting from a phone to casting Google Music from a Chrome browser on the desktop. My significant other and I are almost always casting from our phones to the living room speakers via Chromecast Audio.
  13. Breezy

Out of curiosity, why are people piling up orders on these? I have 2 already in use and 1 ordered as a back-up, but 5? 8? That's a lot of separate speaker set ups/rooms to cast to, and some speakers are already connected to a computer or, say, AVR that you can plug a player directly into. Some...
  14. Breezy

There's still the paid Google Music subscription service. I'm sure Google has done their calculations based on sales statistics and subscription statistics and decided that they want to sell smart speakers rather than dongles for any speakers using some market research to back them up. It's...
  15. Breezy

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

I’m a little bit confused about the conclusion as far as it pertains to the concept of “adequate” cable configuration for a specific task. Say for a moderate run of 30 feet with 8 Ohm speakers, using 16AWG *copper-clad* aluminum core speaker wire is not as optimal as something like 12AWG full...
Top Bottom