Recent content by Billy Budapest

1. Billy Budapest

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

No, the PA5 did not. The Topping LA90 did, but my post you quoted above was from before the LA90 was released.
  2. Billy Budapest

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

I bet the stuffed circuit board is more expensive than the case, which I am sure they have a subcontractor do and price it by the run. But if by item you mean “resistor,” etc., then you probably are right. Although maybe the power transformer is more expensive than the case.
  3. Billy Budapest

This isn’t something that would be CNC’ed. It’s stamped and bent sheet metal which is then anodized or powder coated. Nothing expensive about it.
  4. Billy Budapest

Undoubtedly, impressionable people who subscribe to audiophile myths will be put off by the sight of those opamps. They’ll either complain of an “opamp haze” or “opamp harshness,” exact opposites depending on what myths they have heard the audiophile press pushing at any given time.
  5. Billy Budapest

You can ask JDS to build it with heavier weights (or more weights) if necessary.
  6. Billy Budapest

American made, inexpensive, and performance in the SOTA range. This would be my pick if I needed another headphone amp.
  7. Billy Budapest

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

Wayne, is this you? Just confirming. Always good to see members of the industry here!
  8. Billy Budapest

Ah, a similar (but not very common) idiom in English is when someone says that “something” gave them or almost gave them an aneurysm.
  9. Billy Budapest

I would say that most of the money being charged is simply for the name Nelson Pass. Although in this case, you aren’t even getting that.
  10. Billy Budapest

See my comment above. When people buy equipment from Pass Labs, you can bet they believe their equipment has been designed by Nelson Pass. In this case, that would not be a correct assumption.
  11. Billy Budapest

I think it matters—if someone purchases an amplifier from Pass Labs, they are expecting the amplifier to be designed by Nelson Pass. If it is not, then what’s the point? I wouldn’t say it’s deceptive marketing, but it’s certainly misleading IMHO.
  12. Billy Budapest

The amp under test reportedly was not designed by Nelson Pass but rather by another Pass Labs employee, as mentioned earlier in the thread
  13. Billy Budapest

Wait a minute—people buy Pass Labs equipment because it ostensibly has been designed by Nelson Pass, who is an audio engineer of some acclaim, having designed products for Threshold, Adcom, and Nakamichi. So with this piece, you are not getting a Nelson Pass design?
  14. Billy Budapest

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Mulder peeing in your mouth? No comment. Or did you mean his own mouth? Still no comment. LOL!
  15. Billy Budapest

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

My living room, although a decent size, is adequately served by 7.1.2. If I rearrange my room a bit and go to a larger screen than 65”, I could see adding front wides. But that’s about it.
Top Bottom