Recent content by babydaddymusic

1. B

The Yamaha NS10 Story

I don't know your background, so apologies in advance, but that has not been what I have observed personally- both as a recording artist and being a manager in the music business for 15 years. In fact, it's surprising when these aren't the primary monitors in many cases.
  2. B

The Yamaha NS10 Story

What an honor sir! Thanks for chiming in here. I was really fortunate to be a Columbia Records recording artist- a guy named Chris Lord-Alge mixed four of the songs on our record. I went to LA to loosely participate. He played me a mix from another band called Hole- the song is called Malibu...
  3. B

The Yamaha NS10 Story

I have Mr. Toole's book- I love science and I am a musician. The thing that fascinates me about the NS10 discussions is that at the end of the day, a majority of the people that have mixed the records that are the standards for music in the last 40 years have done so at least in part, on NS10's...
  4. B

Please sell me on "ruler flat" near field monitors.

I have learned the best thing to do in any situation of uncertainty is to first measure what you have. These measurements help me understand many things- one of which is that I don't have a lot of information in the treble frequencies- It helps me to understand why I have struggled to understand...
  5. B

UPDATE: I just used the ARC 3 system to measure my room- with and without my sub. It is extremely revealing!
  6. B

I have purchased 1 refurbished KH80 to sum to mono- as a way to dip my toes in the Neumann ecosystem, and to compare with the NS10's- it should provide another reference that may be helpful.
  7. B

Thanks. I think we are in the realm of eq, and fidelity as opposed to things like movement or being compelling from an emotional standpoint. Now of course, there is place where fidelity and emotion juxtapose in terms of things like "groove" but I'm really referring to the process of mixing- how...
  8. B

EXCELLENT post and thank you so much. Really hits exactly at the heart of what I have been thinking. Very well said!
  9. B

Thank you- this is really helpful! I would say I have "good ears" as a musician but using Soundgym has taught me how far I have to go in terms of eq, stereo field etc... DVDDoug mentioned the limitations of DSP correction and that was my other concern about the situation. I mean I spend a lot of...
  10. B

Hi- My name is Noel and I am a former Columbia Records recording artist and member of Gearspace for years now. I have a guest room studio where I mostly record my own music and sometimes do stuff for film and television. I am currently using NS10 studio monitors vertically oriented with a...
Top Bottom