Recent content by b1lf

1. B

Massdrop 789 vs. Monoprice 887 vs. SMSL SP200: THX amp measurement comparison

Jesus ****ing christ this is amazing. Thanks to all who helped guide me here! And sorry for cluttering up this thread with my questions / build update.
  2. B

Just got home - SMSL SU-8 is set up to the Monoprice THX 887 with XLR interconnect cables (these: https://apos.audio/collections/cables-for-in-ear-monitors-iem-earbuds-earphones/products/fanmusic-c006-female-male-balanced-hifi-cable ) L & R are working fine. No idea why it was reversed when...
  3. B

I’ll check again tonight with my SMSL SU-8. Perhaps it’s my pre-outs on my Mayflower ARC that are wonky - I’ve never used them before.
  4. B

Tested with a game, footsteps sounded all f***ed up. Went into YouTube and searched “left right channel test.” It played Left then Right then Center etc etc etc. My Left and Right were swapped....... PS this sounds incredible and I don't even have the SMSL SU-8 DAC yet.
  5. B

The RCA pre-outs work ----- however for some reason the L & R on the Monoprice THX 887 is reversed than what's labeled!!! Not a big "problem" - however it is annoying. Just swapped them (RCA inputs) and it works now. Hoping its not the same for balanced/XLR.....
  6. B

Heading home now! (I travel for work) The Monoprice THX 887 is at my doorstep but the SMSL SU-8 I ordered via Apos has been “on hold” at my destination city today despite ordering express shipping (DHL sucks). Trying to figure out if my Mayflower ARC’s rear RCA pre-outs (designed for speakers)...
  7. B

Just placed my order for the following: Monoprice THX 887 SMSL SU-8 V2 XLR interconnect cables for the above stack Balanced headphone cables with XLR termination Pretty damn excited!
  8. B

Thanks, I just watched a video review on the SMSL SU-8, I'm leaning towards that. I may end up adding some desktop speakers for my PC so that seems to be relatively future proof.
  9. B

I guess I’d like to get one with balanced outputs to pair with the 887. Does that really make a difference? I don’t need a remote - it will be sitting right next to me and I will likely use these only for headphones (not speakers). Price.... $250 max? I’m also purchasing the 887 so I don’t...
  10. B

Bumping this again for any additional input on pairing a DAC with the Monoprice 887? What is the approximate ETA for the new DACs mentioned above?
  11. B

I may be able to hold off until I see those releases... I could probably use my current Mayflower DAC/AMP combo and just run the DAC to the Monoprice 887 until I purchase something nicer.
  12. B

I think deep down, this is what my inner tech-nerd brain is telling me. I like the flexibility... That said, what DAC would you suggest pairing this with that has XLR? The Topping D50s is priced around $185 which is about what I’d want to pay in the immediate future for a DAC.
  13. B

... I'm still torn on which to purchase. SMSL SP200 offers good value, I don't own any IEMs so the 'lack' of gain control isn't a negative to me. Monoprice THX 887 seems like it has the best performance (slightly) and my personal preference over the Drop THX 789. Monoprice THX AAA 788 / AKM...
  14. B

Technically, they are not 'THX certified,' they have THX chips. 'THX certified' usually means THX test components from another company (ie HT speakers / AVR / etc). Correct? Thanks for the summary / comparison review, new member (long time lurker) looking to upgrade my Mayflower ARC to...
Top Bottom