Recent content by AwesomeSauce2015

1. A

Selling my KRK VXT8, need your advice

If the sub can do DSP processing itself, then 1 could be an option, but ideally 2 would be my pick. This is assuming you have a way to simultaneously control all 4 output volumes on your sound card. Ideally, you correct for each individual speaker's performance, and if you have a subwoofer than...
  2. A

Ok, I must have misunderstood you earlier. I do agree that ADC can be difficult, and I have had concerns about the quality of analog-to-digital conversion in many of these systems myself. I do try to limit the amount of ADC->DAC conversions in my systems, and in-progress updates to my main...
  3. A

I promised myself I wouldn't get drawn into this, but: While I don't doubt that the JBLs are good, I do take issue with your comment that a DSP crossover is worse than a passive one. From an engineering standpoint, using a DSP crossover is better as you do not have to deal with component...
  4. A

If this isn't your primary studio, then I would say the Kalis since they have a 3-way design, and are a bit less expensive. Yes, the coaxial driver isn't ideal (just turn them off axis a bit), but if you don't want to have a subwoofer than having the 8" woofer built into the speaker would...
  5. A

Generally, people here (me included), would recommend having a subwoofer if you can. In my opinion, most bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers tend to run out of bass capability at 80hz, and having the subwoofer take over below that can greatly improve sound quality. However, if there is an...
  6. A

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

True, partially. My perspective is one of a live sound professional. A vocal mic, with a vocalist in front of it, can be a very dynamic source as the performer moves around, and sings various parts of their song. They cannot be constantly in one place when singing, and sometimes vary their...
  7. A

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

This is pretty much my philosophy in audio reproduction. You need dynamic capability in your playback system since music (and other sources) are naturally very dynamic. You also need a reasonably-flat and "extended enough" frequency response (ie: I don't care if there are peaks / dips, so long...
  8. A

A source for used NTI M2010 Class 1 measurement microphones.

Anyone else here using these mics from this source who can comment on it? Thinking about grabbing one to finally have a properly calibrated measurement setup, but it's still a fair bit of money so...
  9. A

Erin's KEF Blade 2 Meta review.

I had them at a reasonable volume level, I wasn't trying to test the system like that one time I accidentally maxed out a pair of Q550s when comparing them with something else. I wasn't trying to disturb everyone else in the store, nor was I trying to break anything. It's just that in that...
  10. A

That is possible, I can't refute or support it, however. Though, I do find that KEF's Q950 towers have the "alive-ness" to some extent. Generally, I have attributed my experiences with this sound effect to having larger / more efficient tweeters and midrange drivers. I can't find any spins of...
  11. A

Yeah, I "heard" the blades once in a showroom with some decent amplification and a digital audio source (of some kind) driving them. Personally, I felt that the bass was pretty well done, and it sounded very "smooth" and "full". The room acoustics weren't ideal, but I could tell that they were...
  12. A

best home theater speakers (5.1) under 30k

I would second the Denon recommendation. They make good stuff, but as a disclaimer I haven't messed with any of the modern Dirac stuff. However, I would caution against KEF, depending on OP's room size. My main issue with KEF for home theater use is just that they seem to lack dynamic...
  13. A

best home theater speakers (5.1) under 30k

Or you could go passive, but JBL, if you want something that isn't just usable for elevator music... (See subjective comments of this review) (Yes, I agree that Revel speakers are good, but personally I like horns and compression drivers). Now, I do not know the size of your room, so I am...
  14. A

Opera Grand Mezza

General advice is that basically every speaker can benefit from integrating a subwoofer properly. General advice is also to have some way to apply a high-pass filter to the main speakers, either through a miniDSP (or similar) or an AV receiver. In your case, looking at the speakers you...
  15. A

Yamaha powered speaker block diagram

Out of curiosity, which processor did you use?
Top Bottom