Recent content by astrawso

1. A

EON615 JBL woofer directivity control waveguide

Does the decoupling involve phase or distortion errors? Seems like it acts as somewhat of a physical crossover.
  2. A

Very interesting. The slit must be creating some interference @ ~1300 and augments an existing null @ ~3000. Maybe the shape the JBL unit uses is able to mitigate this. I notice that its curved in towards the driver, maybe it pushes any interfering signal higher in the passband by reducing the...
  3. A

Interestingly, playing around with these filters in Hornresp shows a slight broadening in directivity (at 3000hz) and also moves the acoustic center down towards the woofer. Could this also help to deal with challenging driver center to center combinations? Maybe at expense of phase relative to...
  4. A

Foam! What a great idea. I wonder what the measured differences in a solid aperture vs an aperiodic aperture would be. I know that geddes uses a particular foam to alleviate some of the high end harshness of pro compression drivers. I also guess that you could use multiple layers of foam with a...
  5. A

Sure the driver will beam, but that's due to the wide cross section of the driver surface area at those frequencies. Playing around in Hornresp, it seems that a panel in front of the driver that's narrower than the driver causes the wavefront to diffract around the smaller opening, creating a...
  6. A

So is there some audible reason why these wouldn't be used anymore? Other than the obvious aesthetic reason and the move to narrow towers for a large majority of hifi.
  7. A

The JBL EON615 from their pro line uses a very interesting "waveguide" over the woofer, presumably to handle the on-axis beaming at higher frequencies for such a large driver. Directivity charts aren't included, but they list the coverage at 110 degrees. Looking at directivity charts for other...
Top Bottom