Recent content by Anton S

1. A

‘Aphex exciter’ effect: the hidden “holy grail” of audiophilism?

The implication here being that the creative process ends - or should end - at this point? That playback should be a passive experience confined to reproducing as faithfully as possible exactly what's been recorded onto the commercial product? Hogwash!
  2. A

Perceived Recording Fidelity

Interesting. ... Same venue, same band, same session sounded different to me when played directly from YouTube. Until I compared short slices of the same phrases. Switching back and forth like that, they sound the same.
  3. A

Humans are predominantly visual creatures, and visual stimulus often skews auditory perception. This is why I often listen to both live performances and home music reproduction with my eyes closed most of the time to allow my auditory input to dominate. At home, I also like to keep the room...
  4. A

I stumbled across a short article on the Stereophile website today concerned with the psychoacoustic perception of recording quality. I'd like to share and get your thoughts on the conclusion that recordings generally perceived as the most faithful to the original performance are often the ones...
  5. A

Vintage and modern Vu-Meters, Oscilloscope, Spectrographs, etc.

OMG! I've got the Kenwood version of that thing (KC-6060A) stuffed away in storage. Surprised to see those are going for between one and two grand. It appears there's some gold in my storage unit. :)
  6. A

Devil's Advocate

My sincere thanks to everyone who participated. Observing the distribution of presumptions and internalizations to what I tossed out as chum in the water, as well as the widely diverse responses, was genuinely fascinating. Thank you one and all for playing this little game.
  7. A

Devil's Advocate

Let's have a little fun today ... Assertion: The background noise level of a typical home listening environment is at least 40 dB SPL. True or False? If you agree with the above premise, then this conclusion must follow … Audio equipment noise levels below than -80 dB are inaudible in a...
  8. A

Why do humans like jazz?

I never said that improvisation was exclusive to jazz, only that it is the thread that ties all forms of jazz together. There's a difference.
  9. A

Why do humans like jazz?

It's difficult for anyone to define exactly what jazz is due to the incredibly broad spectrum of music that is classified as Jazz. By its nature, jazz is continually spinning off new subgenres, but everyone agrees that central to each is the improvisational aspect. Its unpredictability. Some...
  10. A

Why do humans like jazz?

I think I can see the entire Modern Jazz Quartet rolling in their graves in response to that allegation. For most of its history the MJQ consisted of John Lewis (piano), Milt Jackson (vibraphone), Percy Heath (double bass), and Connie Kay (drums). No sax; all jazz.
  11. A

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Yes, quite. /full stop/
  12. A

Why do humans like jazz?

I had a music professor in college who once said that, since improvisation was core precept of jazz, it ceased to be jazz as soon as it was recorded. My reply was that the improvisation was part of the performance and that it was still there baked into the recording, even though the recording...
  13. A

Describe your decisive experience that completely changed your view of audiophilia with a comment.

The realization, decades ago, that there wasn't - and still isn't - any standardization at the production end of musical content. This, of course, was immediately followed by the epiphany that I was free to adjust the reproduction at my end to best suit myself, which summarily ended the...
  14. A

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

I live in Phoenix most of the time, but my home away from home is the town of Avalon on Catalina Island. I visit there whenever I need relief from the stress of 21st century life, as well as for the annual Catalina Jazz Festival. No hustle and bustle here. Everyone and everything operates on...
  15. A

The Fantasticality of Immersive Musical Spaces

Apparently, the term "immersive audio" conveys different meanings to different people. You seem to want to be in the middle of the performance. I want to be able to close my eyes and be in audience at the venue.
Top Bottom