Recent content by alfarn

1. A

Reliability of cheap class D amplifiers

Good point, noted. My intentions were not to use the term in a derogatory manner, but being new to this topic I was parroting terms I had seen used in similar discussions. I'll avoid it in the future. Unfortunately I can't edit my previous posts anymore.
  2. A

Lack of Audioengine N22 reviews/discussions

Hey that's great! Perfect timing, thanks for doing the review Amir, tells me all I need to know. I guess this explains the many subjective reviews reporting the N22 having a "warm sound"..
  3. A

Do you mean the Rekkr and Gjallarhorn (those are the only Schiit speaker amps that I can find with a similar price tag as the N22)? They look pretty good too, but I find the lack of volume control unfortunate. I'd rather not have a separate preamp.
  4. A

I've been looking at small amplifiers for nearfield listening at my desktop. The majority of what I see recommended is cheap Chi-fi class D amps, some of which measure really well here on ASR. Something like the Aiyima A07 sounds perfect for me, on paper. However, I find the lack of quality...
  5. A

Good point about the people having problems being vocal. I'll give the Aiyima A07 some more thought. What's your experience with the power supply that comes with the amp? I've read that you have to be specific in how you connect the power supply and amp, since otherwise you can damage the power...
  6. A

For me cheap is under $150, like the Loxjie A30 ($140 on Amazon) which I was intrigued by at first but later got turned off by all the negative reports about defective units. I don't mind paying a little extra for a more reliable product. I love the idea of the Aiyima A07. Are there any other...
  7. A

I agree that reliability should not be equated with the amplifier class. I am more specifically concerned with the cheap chi-fi amps that are very popular these days. They happen to be class D.
  8. A

I like the general idea of cheap chi-fi class D mini amps. Most/all of them have enough power for my needs (nearfield listening at desktop), many of them measure well here on ASR, and the small form factor is a plus. A bare-bones amplifier with only RCA inputs like the the Aiyima A07 sounds...
  9. A

Interpreting CEA-2010

Hi, I have a couple of questions about how to interpret CEA-2010 results when making a purchasing decision on subwoofers. The budget subwoofer selection in my area is very limited, but I've narrowed my options down to the Jamo C 912 and Polk HTS 10. The plot below shows their CEA-2010 results...
Top Bottom