Recent content by AlexTSG

1. AlexTSG

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

As I have the Topping D30 Pro on the way to complete my stack so I needed some short XLR patch cables. I found some I liked at Hart Audio Cables. (https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/transfer-cables/products/tc-1-3-pin-xlr-patch-cable?variant=32619629379665) While I was ordering those I...
  2. AlexTSG

You may get a little more power out of the XLR output compared to the 6.35mm (1/4 inch) output. The measurements in the review show 0.73w (SE) vs 0.81w (XLR) at 300 ohms. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-a30pro-review-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/ I'm waiting...
  3. AlexTSG

The A30 Pro doesn't have a balanced internal design, but it does support the things people actually buy balanced amplifiers for. It supports balanced input from a DAC, and it has balanced headphone connector types with output power levels that are similar to those from a true balanced...
  4. AlexTSG

My Hifiman Edition XS arrived last Friday and recommended 150 hours of "burn in". They have 18 ohms of impedance and a sensitivity of 92dB. They sounded great out of the box, but I thought it would be a good test of the A30 Pro and the headphones to let them play for a while anyway. So far...
  5. AlexTSG

I haven't seen the internals (except through the ventilation holes). If I remember correctly the manual says something like "The warranty will be voided instantly if the unit is opened". I'm happy to post photos or video of the exterior if there's anything in particular that you haven't found...
  6. AlexTSG

So, I've had my A30 Pro setup for 2 days now. Like others have mentioned, mine does suffer from some coil whine from the internal power supply when the rear rocker switch is on, and the front toggle switch is off (not in any other positions). However, I would have probably never noticed had I...
  7. AlexTSG

The main reason I could see for getting the A90 over this would be if you need to use it as a pre-amplifier. While you can attach studio monitors/active speakers to the A30 Pro, it operates in a pass through mode where you would turn off the A30 Pro to send the audio to the speakers instead...
  8. AlexTSG

Damn, I was hoping this had been sorted out, perhaps with a revision of the power supply. One of my colleagues has just let me know that DHL delivered a package from Shenzhen Audio, an hour after I left the office for the day. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if my A30 Pro suffers from the same...
  9. AlexTSG

Sonos-like stereo with non-smart speakers, how?

While the Sonos Amp was perfect for my needs as it was replacing a 10+ year old Marantz stereo amplifier, but adding the smart features I wanted (and triple the power output), there is a less integrated option available called the Sonos Port. I did consider it, but the Sonos Amp was a cheaper...
  10. AlexTSG

Sonos-like stereo with non-smart speakers, how?

I'm not replying with an amazing solution that no one else has mentioned, but rather to say that I've been using the Sonos Amp for over a year now, and it's been excellent. I picked it up on a good Black Friday deal back in 2020. I'm using it for TV sound (via HDMI) and have hooked up a pair of...
  11. AlexTSG

100% My primary reason for buying the A30 Pro is it's < 1 ohm output impedance. The 10 ohm output impedance of the DX3 Pro seems like a bad match for the 18 ohm Edition XS. Of course there could be almost no audible difference between the D30 Pro and DX3 Pro, but without other amplifiers to...
  12. AlexTSG

I just created an account on ASR to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. Based on all the information here, I've ordered an A30 Pro to replace my DX3 Pro (V2). I'm hoping it will be a good match for a pair of Hifiman Edition XS that are also on the way. I haven't had any problems...
Top Bottom