Recent content by A-lexx

1. A

AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt Review (Portable Headphone Adapter)

Why do you think you would hear any difference between good quality MP3 and higher-res Audio? Even if there is any difference, most people can‘t hear it. Even people who claim they could are often mistaken. You will not hear more details with better DACs, it‘s nonsense, no DAC is that bad...
  2. A

indeed, clearly routed directly to USB. In a meanwhile, between burning some burgers on a grill an a couple beers I found a copy, or a part of that interview, on John Darko‘s page (I remember however reading a longer version somewhere else)...
  3. A

He wasn‘t using the embedded USB controller. He actually programmed the protocol, using general purpose IOs. That was a point of using the MCU vs. an already available simple USB driver. Now you are starting getting personal for no reasons. I said I will try to find that interview. Using...
  4. A

I actually share your opinion. I‘m just playing a devil‘s advocate here. I‘m not saying it is ok what they are doing, I don´t like it neither and find it not a good way of doing business. I was just answering to the portion of ‚why‘ they did it, because it‘s how marketing works, from my...
  5. A

There was a long article with an interview with Gordon Rankin, multiple pages long, published in 2019, where he described in details his struggles with the implementation, how he was tasked with implementing high-speed USB, was trying and failed in doing this with an original MCU because of the...
  6. A

Why? Well, because the marketing department was tasked with saying something positive about it, and they didn´t know what to say, so they used the specs Of the MCU. You know, that new MCU is actually a big thing. They (Audioquest) paid Gordon Rankin lots of money because of that. Since Gordon...
  7. A

There are no 'specs' for any of them. Audioqest never publishes any. Just some esoteric mumbo-jumbo. So no specs means no specs can be violated. I don't like that neither. Nowadays even every Chinese company publishes full specs, but Audioquest does not. And I agree, the impression they made...
  8. A

Yes, I know it uses more power, as I have both and DFR is giving me longer play times. AQ never claimed it uses less. You need to read between marketing lines. AQ claims the MCU they went for uses less power. There is a reason they are talking only about the MCU. Because the new DAC chip is...
  9. A

Well, in case of a DFC, I wouldn't mind having better THD numbers, but actually that's not really important, as THD of 0.01% is not audible, to no one. So, it's a pure academic discussion, whether having a THD of 0.0001% would give any improvement in terms of sound quality. The design target...
  10. A

yes, all of them. As an example - SE846 or T5p are really easy to drive, Apple dongle could blow a driver on T5p if you max out the volume, I‘m not talking about anything like HD600. It stays the same, if I use it as DAC only, adding a really powerful Fiio A5 into the chain - I can still easily...
  11. A

It‘s a difficult topic. Some people are strong believers in objective or subjective tests. I consider myself agnostic. My background is EE MSc with decades working in the industry. There are many objective measurements that you cannot neglect. I also do not hear any differences in cables unless...
  12. A

Nope that richness doesn‘t have anything to do with harmonic distortion. DFR has a pretty good THD of around 0.003%. That is not audible by no means. The threshold for audible distortion, for a single sine tone, is around 0.2%. For music, it‘s above 1%. So, THD of 0.01% is already absolutely...
  13. A

I don't get all that complains about "bad" THD and oh so high distortion on DFC. Everyone seems to forget to convert THD numbers from dB into percentage. THD of 78dB means 0.01%. Everything below 1% is not audible for humans. 0.01% is 100 times lower than 1%. There is no point in discussing...
Top Bottom