Recent content by 9radua1

1. 9radua1

Is this woofer’s spider broken? Troubleshooting buzzing sound

My woofer developed a small buzzing sound, when playing certain bass notes. Nothing to see on surrounds, membrane or dust cap. So pulled it out to check the spider. Does it look like the glue between the VC and spider has cracked or come loose? How can I check this without disassembling it? The...
  2. 9radua1

Share your in-room measurements?

Could be a quarter wave cancelation at the woofer? 350 Hz is about 1 meter, so a surface 25 cm from the driver would do that. I also have cancelations in that region, no matter what I do...
  3. 9radua1

If you have full range main speakers can a single sub be enough?

Well, there’s a generational thing here, for sure. If one mostly listens to music from the 50s to the 70s, then subbass hasn’t been an issue, because those records were produced without much of it. Modern pop and electronic music is something else, even modern classical, right? There’s more...
  4. 9radua1

Also, an acoustic instrument or voice can be considered a point source. Replaying that through a pair of speakers creates the illusion of mono, the phantom center, and any phantom placement of point sources in the stereo field. The phase coherence needed for phantom mono is easily disturbed in...
  5. 9radua1

I think there’s a point to be added about measurements versus manual, by-ear evaluation. What I get from Amir, @mitchco and others championing the need for room compensation in the bass is that one needs to establish a proper baseline for neutrality. Measurements and filtering are not there to...
  6. 9radua1

I think that correction looks very, very good by most standards! The nul at 60 Hz was probably not a cancelation nul, and could therefore be corrected, while the 135 Hz nul may be an interference that can’t be. Plus, you got much better bass extension out of those speakers, it seems. What is...
  7. 9radua1

Electronica/dance/techno/et cetera.

I'm mostly into dubtechno and underground house. My brother does some really awesome mixes: -- Here's an all-time favorite for that cool, background ambient/house vibe:
  8. 9radua1

Sure. I read somewhere Toole said that a true calibration will still leave much to be desired from differently mixed tracks. Some will lack a lot of bass (older stuff), some will be fine, som will be harsh in the treble etc. I agree that a neutral system makes it less likely that you'd want to...
  9. 9radua1

Phantom center only better!

Right, I get your point. I think Amir’s directivity plot was a little less flattering, but it certainly has constant directivity above the xover. Compared to the SC307 with the AMT tweeter, the S400 is not as wide, as you say. My experience with these two speakers side by side is that the...
  10. 9radua1

But the S400s don’t have a particularly wide dispersion with constant directivity, do they? My thought was that it is the wide dispersion all the way up to the treble somewhere that gives that “big screen”-like sensation in a reverberant room.
  11. 9radua1

What a great analogy! Ive often tried to describe the experience with my Eve SC307s (ribbon tweeters) with wide, constant-ish dispersion up to about 8-9KHz. The phantom center is precise, but kind of large. I also have the S400s, and they seem more point-source-like in the phantom center, but...
  12. 9radua1

Right, experimenting with toe-in may help to stabilize the center image. But I have often noticed that when speakers are set up asymmetrically in a room, the center image becomes diffuse - for instance a typical mono lead vocal in a stereo mix. Not as a “hole” between the speakers, but the...
  13. 9radua1

Yes, for my usual listening level at 70-75 dB, I actually prefer this bass level. I have a preset for higher levels, where the bass is shelved down 3 dB from 120Hz and down. But generally, this curve sounds natural to me. But it may be because the in-room experience with reflections from side...
  14. 9radua1

yes, I tried it. It works ok, and the bass is actually more even, but I loose the good stereo image and the center image becomes diffuse. The room is an open plan thing, so the only way to get L/R symmetry is setting It up where it is now. Next step would be heavy drapes behind each speaker, I...
  15. 9radua1

Cool, thanks. Looks fine. Your main issue seems to be the dip around 150Hz. is that an average or just the main LP? Could be the almost identical 2 to 1 room dimensions or an SBIR interference at the woofers. Does it sound “hollow” in the upper bass or lacking “body” in the overall sound? If...
Top Bottom