• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You thought that there were no audible differences between different amplifiers ?

Can you hear the differences between the different amplifiers ?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 2. No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangband

Major Contributor
An interesting recording comparison between different amplifiers using the Kef R3 loudspeaker .
The sound differences between those different amplifiers are surprisingly big .
Can you also here a difference ?

threni

Major Contributor
No notes on the video about how the test was set up - any particular reason to take this seriously?

MAB

Major Contributor
I have no idea what they actually measured, seems like camera and speaker position changes with each cut, but hard to tell since the overall effort is so poorly controlled. I am pretty sure the camera is the mic, I actually listened to this excruciatingly poor test.

I love these random posts of YouTube reviews, with lots of things changing, no scientific methodology, designed to create a difference rather than test for difference. Followed by the uncritical question "Can you hear the difference?" My question to the OP @Tangband , why would you expect these cuts to sound the same when the measurement and the test subject are moving even with the same amp???:facepalm:

MAB

Major Contributor
Also, I suggest a modified title and poll;):
1680212468993.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like best case they were standing really close to the mic during recording and moved every time. Worst case the mic itself moved.

Either way most of these youtube tests are f***ing stupid to begin with. I'm 95% listening to their mic and their room, any differences between gear would have to be massive to get an accurate sense of them. They basically never even do it with binarual mics, which is almost the only way this makes sense in the first place. Doing this to test amps is just absolutely braindead.

MAB

Major Contributor
Sounds like best case they were standing really close to the mic during recording and moved every time. Worst case the mic itself moved.

Either way most of these youtube tests are f***ing stupid to begin with. I'm 95% listening to their mic and their room, any differences between gear would have to be massive to get an accurate sense of them. They basically never even do it with binarual mics, which is almost the only way this makes sense in the first place. Doing this to test amps is just absolutely braindead.
It's even worse.:facepalm: Each time the amps are swapped, the youtuber moved the speakers. For instance:
1680213721787.png

And it's not the camera angle, which also changes.:facepalm::facepalm: The speakers change by more than an inch relative to their silly amp-isolation-board.
The video is best watched with the sound off, you get less distracted by the carnival-barking that way.:)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
some switches seam to be clean. but even then you can't compare cause the cases are diferent and in the reflection zone.
the video doesn't deserve to be analized here
bye

Reactions: MAB

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if serious

Reactions: MAB

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of questions. Obviously the camera angle changed with different amps or they moved speakers. Surely they didn't move speakers. If the camera mic was used and they moved the camera well, there is your answer. And did they match levels to compensate for gain differences? One could download the audio and figure that out. After having wasted time on so many piss poor test setups on youtube I'm not inclined to bother. They could have and should have described how they did testing in a couple or three paragraphs. So if they couldn't bother, I'm not going to bother much either. This video is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom