• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 633 55.1%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 182 15.9%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 350 30.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 237 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 270 23.5%

• Total voters

Dinesh Menon

I wondered about that as well. Denon:
index.php

index.php

Yamaha:
index.php

index.php

I see why the Yamaha for $200 got the recommendation and the Denon for $500 didn't. In terms of cost and functionality the Denon plays with the Yamaha A-S501 and there it's lack of value is even more obvious.

If you really want your day ruined, look at the early Youtube "reviews" of the Klipsch RP-600M, and then look at the Klippel NFS measurements. :cool:
Now many of the Denon integrated amps and AVRs are selling at a heavily discounted prices here. While Yamaha never dips that low.
Klipsch speakers always looked exotic with their Tractrix Horn and Ceramettalic Woofers. And supposed to give scintillating sound output. Amir Sir's test took the bull by the horns and cautioning us to Stay Away from it.
Klipsch rated them at 96db while Erin's test put them at 85.2db.
A legend created by marketing hype.
Happy weekend.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While Yamaha never dips that low.
If you ask a fanboy such as myself, that is because their wares are worth more.

Klipsch speakers always looked exotic with their Tractrix Horn and Ceramettalic Woofers. And supposed to give scintillating sound output. Amir Sir's test took the bull by the horns and cautioning us to Stay Away from it.
Indeed. However, their dispersion pattern, even in the RP600M, is nice, so you can use PEQ to "fix" them. Ot get the RP600M MK2 which are fine by default.

Klipsch rated them at 96db while Erin's test put them at 85.2db.
When i sold my RP600M i bought for measurements the buyer told me he wanted high sensitivity speakers. I told him that is just marketing, but i don't think he really believed me.

Anyway, as for what i want to see measured by Amir, a Yamaha A-S 301. By how much will it beat the R-S202?

Dinesh Menon

If you ask a fanboy such as myself, that is because their wares are worth more.

Indeed. However, their dispersion pattern, even in the RP600M, is nice, so you can use PEQ to "fix" them. Ot get the RP600M MK2 which are fine by default.

When i sold my RP600M i bought for measurements the buyer told me he wanted high sensitivity speakers. I told him that is just marketing, but i don't think he really believed me.

Anyway, as for what i want to see measured by Amir, a Yamaha A-S 301. By how much will it beat the R-S202?
Yamaha A-S301 is always topping in the '10 Killer Speaker Amps from $60 - $600' list of Randy (cheapaudioman channel).

Similarly Sony SSCS5 always find a place in his 'Top Ten Favourite Speakers' list.

Both are selected in his latest list of 2024:

Many may not take his ratings or rantings seriously, but somehow I feel like he's very sincere and affable kind of guy.
He never said that his reviews are objective, always maintaining that it's his practical experiences.
Some how I believe him.
However I trust Amir Sir & ASR FMs.

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm always trying to find the bottom of the barrel. A couple of days ago I got a PiFi Digi transport hat for the Raspberry Pi from ebay. With shipping it was $17. I set it up on a Pi 3A + running Squeezelite with toslink out to my amp. It sounds perfectly OK to me. I'm very curious to find how low you can go for a transport. I know Amir has tested insanely cheap HDMI to SPDIF converters and gotten great results. I'm wondering if these are similar since it's a digital to digital conversion.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm always trying to find the bottom of the barrel. A couple of days ago I got a PiFi Digi transport hat for the Raspberry Pi from ebay. With shipping it was $17. I set it up on a Pi 3A + running Squeezelite with toslink out to my amp. It sounds perfectly OK to me. I'm very curious to find how low you can go for a transport. I know Amir has tested insanely cheap HDMI to SPDIF converters and gotten great results. I'm wondering if these are similar since it's a digital to digital conversion.
I gather that's a clone of the HifiBerry Digi at a lower price, in which case performance shouldn't be a technical problem. If there's a cheaper i2s to spdif chip than the Wolfson then someone could do something even cheaper and it would still be fine if in spec.

AJM1981

What I really wonder about is a comparison between the KEF LS50 and LS50 meta and especially about how KEF approached the issue they claimed to have improved with the "meta disc" in the 'original' LS50. With the main question being if they have really solved or improved something to the original LS50 and if the meter points more towards sense or towards hype.

prerich

I am interested in how a range of DSP filters (shelving, x-over, peak etc) done in software, eg Roon, JRiver, Acourate compare to each other and also to identical filters done in hardware such as MiniDSP etc.
Thanks for your comment - you just made me hold off on spending $945 for the flex HTx

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I really wonder about is a comparison between the KEF LS50 and LS50 meta and especially about how KEF approached the issue they claimed to have improved with the "meta disc" in the 'original' LS50. With the main question being if they have really solved or improved something to the original LS50 and if the meter points more towards sense or towards hype.
It's a fair question i wanted to answer myself:

To me there was no difference.
Objectively there is a difference, the Meta is clearly better in linearity and distortion, it's just that i couldn't hear it. Bass response is forced on me by the room and above Schröder frequency they look more or less the same. Distortion seems to be better than my sources anyway and i don't listen very loud.

Top Bottom