• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 86.2%

• Total voters

skyline385

This might be a dumb question but I am thinking of getting the L30 II to act as a Headphone amp between my DAC and Speaker Amp so that I can switch between headphones and speakers easily. So my chain would be:

HP : SMSL SU-1 > L30 II (HP jack) > HD800S
SPEAKERS : SMSL SU-1 > L30 II (RCA out) > Fosi BT20A Pro > Polk Reserve R200

I understand it has a dedicated pre-amp function for this but just want to make sure that I am not double amping as I couldn't find much information about connecting passive speakers through a speaker amp to the L30 II.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This might be a dumb question but I am thinking of getting the L30 II to act as a Headphone amp between my DAC and Speaker Amp so that I can switch between headphones and speakers easily. So my chain would be:

HP : SMSL SU-1 > L30 II (HP jack) > HD800S
SPEAKERS : SMSL SU-1 > L30 II (RCA out) > Fosi BT20A Pro > Polk Reserve R200

I understand it has a dedicated pre-amp function for this but just want to make sure that I am not double amping as I couldn't find much information about connecting passive speakers through a speaker amp to the L30 II.
That'll work just fine.

There's no problematic double amping going on because that's not actually a thing. Just an audiophile myth.

Barncore

This also might be a dumb question, but when it says "Frequency response: 20hz - 40khz", does that mean everything below 20hz is rolled off? What happens below 20hz?

I'm an audio engineer that's interested in the L30ii for my headphones, but i need to be able to hear if there's any sub rumble under 20hz. It's the one of the main reasons to use headphones, to reference the subs. Am i going to be able to hear 10hz at all and below with L30ii? Is it a slight roll off or a steep one? Or do they just write "20hz-40khz" cos that's what they tested and want to cover their butts?
Cheers!

oleg87

This also might be a dumb question, but when it says "Frequency response: 20hz - 40khz", does that mean everything below 20hz is rolled off? What happens below 20hz?

I'm an audio engineer that's interested in the L30ii for my headphones, but i need to be able to hear if there's any sub rumble under 20hz. It's the one of the main reasons to use headphones, to reference the subs. Am i going to be able to hear 10hz at all and below with L30ii? Is it a slight roll off or a steep one? Or do they just write "20hz-40khz" cos that's what they tested and want to cover their butts?
Cheers!
The frequency response is in the review. I assume DC protection will kick in at some point but its flat to 10hz.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can safely dismiss "Frequency Response: x Hz - xHz" specs whenever you see them in consumer audio. They're completely meaningless.

Here's the L30II's frequency response:
Topping L30 II Headphone Amplifier frequency response Measurements.png

Top Bottom