• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 375 83.9%

• Total voters

Nutul

I'm well aware about MQA situation. However, not the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the effort.
I meant: don't bother, you gain nothing.
Anyway, the SU-1 is an MQA decoder, so I believe you should send the MQA stream to it as-is (at 0dB, as any digital alteration of the stream, such as volume attenuation, will "render" the MQA stream as invalid...)
Enjoy.

Silvestrus

It seems that it's not full decoder. I took some time to read about MQA process... The best option is to set it to renderer only in WiiM settings. WiiM will do first unfold and send it to DAC which will do full unfold as renderer only.

On the side note, as you mentioned. It really doesn't matter. DAC sounds amazing for the price range and above.

Mikig

I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand it with my English ability.
As an elderly Japanese person with limited English proficiency, I sometimes misunderstand native speakers' English.
Thank you for your advice.
it happens to me too!!
I don't always understand or manage to make myself understood, even using the translator: in Italian the construction of the sentence is different, and I realized that above all the "idioms" and stock phrases are often very distant. Sometimes I have to correct the translator and insert more sensible words or put them "in quotation marks" otherwise the sentence takes on a completely different meaning!!!

Silvestrus

Everywhere I read it *is* a decoder. Anyway, I see in the end we are on the same page... ;-)
It can work as decoder up to MQA studio (blue and green led). Apparently 'full' MQA decoder DACs cost a fortune. Those are my findings according to tests that I've conducted.

Mikig

However, I confirm that this little DAC works really well. I tried it with a CD player on COAX output, powered by a power bank. Impeccable. I'm pretty much always using the SU-1, having moved the other DAC to the TV with the speakers active.

Top Bottom